Soldiers` killing overshadow Rahul`s Amethi visit
Amethi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday visited his parliamentary constituency and interacted with women members of self help group and youth.
However, instead of development issues, the Amethi MP`s one-day visit was dominated by the brutal killing of the two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops.
As soon as cavalcade of the Congress MP, who arrived for a meeting with women members of SHGs, left the Fursatganj airport a group of youth stopped it and demanded that the head of martyr soldier Hemraj Singh be brought back.
Later, in a meeting with about 3,000 women SHGs who came from 22 districts of UP at a school here, Rahul again faced questions regarding the incident and call for strict action, women participants said.
According to those present in the meeting, the women workers demanded that ten heads be brought in reply to the Pakistan army`s action.
The Congress leader told them that efforts were on to resolve the issue peacefully.
"We do not act in hatred or out of envy," Rahul told them.
Exhorting those associated with the self help groups to motivate more women, the Congress leader said the aim of the `Rajiv Gandhi Mahila Vikas Pariyojna` is to make them self reliant.
Asking women to realise their strength, Rahul said that there are programmes under the `pariyojna` to improve their financial condition.
"There are schemes being run by the Centre through which women can improve their lot," the Congress leader said.
Rahul also appealed them to take advantage of the educational institutes for their children so that their future generations have a better life.
Another meeting of the self help groups which was scheduled to be held earlier at Indira Gandhi eye hospital in Rae Bareli was called off as Rahul had arrived late.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note