Soldiers` killing overshadow Rahul`s Amethi visit
Amethi: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday visited his parliamentary constituency and interacted with women members of self help group and youth.
However, instead of development issues, the Amethi MP`s one-day visit was dominated by the brutal killing of the two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops.
As soon as cavalcade of the Congress MP, who arrived for a meeting with women members of SHGs, left the Fursatganj airport a group of youth stopped it and demanded that the head of martyr soldier Hemraj Singh be brought back.
Later, in a meeting with about 3,000 women SHGs who came from 22 districts of UP at a school here, Rahul again faced questions regarding the incident and call for strict action, women participants said.
According to those present in the meeting, the women workers demanded that ten heads be brought in reply to the Pakistan army`s action.
The Congress leader told them that efforts were on to resolve the issue peacefully.
"We do not act in hatred or out of envy," Rahul told them.
Exhorting those associated with the self help groups to motivate more women, the Congress leader said the aim of the `Rajiv Gandhi Mahila Vikas Pariyojna` is to make them self reliant.
Asking women to realise their strength, Rahul said that there are programmes under the `pariyojna` to improve their financial condition.
"There are schemes being run by the Centre through which women can improve their lot," the Congress leader said.
Rahul also appealed them to take advantage of the educational institutes for their children so that their future generations have a better life.
Another meeting of the self help groups which was scheduled to be held earlier at Indira Gandhi eye hospital in Rae Bareli was called off as Rahul had arrived late.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi