Sonia condoles loss of lives in Allahabad stampede
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Monday expressed grief over the death of 36 people in a stampede at Allahabad railway station.
The stampede occurred at 7 PM yesterday when thousands of passengers, mostly Maha Kumbh devotees returning after taking holy dip at the Sangam, had gathered to board a train.
Gandhi has expressed deep shock and sorrow over the tragic death of pilgrims, a message from the AICC said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had condoled the loss of lives in the tragedy and instructed the Railway Ministry to provide all possible assistance.
Singh also directed Central government departments to extend all possible help to the Uttar Pradesh government in relief operations.
The UP government had ordered an inquiry into the stampede and asked the Railways to make proper arrangements to clear rush of devotees and sanctioned an ex-gratia of Rs five lakh to the kin of each of the deceased persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum