Sonia condoles loss of lives in Allahabad stampede
New Delhi: Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Monday expressed grief over the death of 36 people in a stampede at Allahabad railway station.
The stampede occurred at 7 PM yesterday when thousands of passengers, mostly Maha Kumbh devotees returning after taking holy dip at the Sangam, had gathered to board a train.
Gandhi has expressed deep shock and sorrow over the tragic death of pilgrims, a message from the AICC said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had condoled the loss of lives in the tragedy and instructed the Railway Ministry to provide all possible assistance.
Singh also directed Central government departments to extend all possible help to the Uttar Pradesh government in relief operations.
The UP government had ordered an inquiry into the stampede and asked the Railways to make proper arrangements to clear rush of devotees and sanctioned an ex-gratia of Rs five lakh to the kin of each of the deceased persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal