Sonia Gandhi cancels visit to AMU due to bad weather
New Delhi: Congress President Sonia Gandhi, who was to address the 60th convocation of Aligarh Muslim University on Saturday, cancelled her visit due to bad weather.
"The visit has been cancelled due to bad weather," Congress sources said here.
In Aligarh, AMU Vice-Chancellor Lt Gen (Retd) Zameer Uddin Shah said that Gandhi`s plane could not take off due to inclement weather.
Had Gandhi made it to Aligarh, she would have been the second woman to make a convocation address at the university. Nawab Sultan Jahan Begum of Bhopal was the first woman to deliver the convocation address on January 26, 1925.
Heavy showers in the night and early morning had led to a last minute change in the venue of the convocation in Aligarh.
The venue of the function has been shifted from the pandal at the Athletics Grounds to the Kennedy Auditorium, according to the university`s spokesman.
AMU Pro-Vice Chancellor Brigadier Syed Ahmad Ali said that the convocation will be held today.
Besides delivering the convocation address, Gandhi was also to be conferred with the life membership of the Aligarh Muslim University Students Union.
The first person to be honoured by the AMUSU with its life membership was Mahatma Gandhi. He was conferred the membership in 1920 at the beginning of the Khilafat Movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round