Sonia reviews implementation of central schemes in Rae Bareli
Rae Bareli: On a day when Congress workers
hit the streets in protest against Rahul Gandhi`s arrest,
party president Sonia Gandhi on Thursday visited her Lok Sabha
constituency to review implementation of various centrally-
sponsored rural employment and housing schemes.
"During the meeting of district vigilance and monitoring
committee chaired by Gandhi, a detailed review of centrally-
sponsored schemes like MNREGA, Indira Awas Yojana, and works
done under central road fund was done," District Magistrate
Amrita Soni told reporters.
Emphasising on better implementation of central schemes,
Gandhi asked authorities to ensure that 100 days of employment
be provided to maximum families under MNREGA.
The Congress leader also asked them to send maximum
proposals for construction of roads in the district, Soni
Heavy barricading was put in place before the arrival of
the local MP, who reached the district collectorate office at
around 11.15 AM to attend the meet which lasted for about two
The administration pointed out to problems being faced
in wheat procurement due to agitation by Food Corporation of
India employees, to which Gandhi assured that the matter would
be looked into.
Earlier, Gandhi met over 500 people including
delegations and party workers at a guest house. She was
flooded with complaints on issues relating to health,
education and employment besides various local problems.
Opposing more package to Indian Telephone Industries, a
delegation of ITI Mazdoor Parishad demanded merger of the ITI
with another company.
Though a package of around Rs 4,200 crore was given by
the Centre for survival of the ITI, it failed due to "misuse"
of fund by the management, the delegation members alleged.
They demanded that instead of giving another package,
the ailing ITI should be merged with another company.
On way back to Lucknow, Sonia visited Bankagarh village
in Shivgarh area where six people were killed after inhaling
poisonous gas in a well yesterday.
She assured all possible assistance to family members of
the deceased and also announced to bear all expenses of
treatment of ailing son of one of the victims.
Congress has announced a state-wide chakka jam today to
protest Rahul`s arrest in Bhatta Parsaul last night and in
support of farmers` demands in Greater Noida. Rahul was later
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues