Sonia reviews implementation of central schemes in Rae Bareli
Rae Bareli: On a day when Congress workers
hit the streets in protest against Rahul Gandhi`s arrest,
party president Sonia Gandhi on Thursday visited her Lok Sabha
constituency to review implementation of various centrally-
sponsored rural employment and housing schemes.
"During the meeting of district vigilance and monitoring
committee chaired by Gandhi, a detailed review of centrally-
sponsored schemes like MNREGA, Indira Awas Yojana, and works
done under central road fund was done," District Magistrate
Amrita Soni told reporters.
Emphasising on better implementation of central schemes,
Gandhi asked authorities to ensure that 100 days of employment
be provided to maximum families under MNREGA.
The Congress leader also asked them to send maximum
proposals for construction of roads in the district, Soni
Heavy barricading was put in place before the arrival of
the local MP, who reached the district collectorate office at
around 11.15 AM to attend the meet which lasted for about two
The administration pointed out to problems being faced
in wheat procurement due to agitation by Food Corporation of
India employees, to which Gandhi assured that the matter would
be looked into.
Earlier, Gandhi met over 500 people including
delegations and party workers at a guest house. She was
flooded with complaints on issues relating to health,
education and employment besides various local problems.
Opposing more package to Indian Telephone Industries, a
delegation of ITI Mazdoor Parishad demanded merger of the ITI
with another company.
Though a package of around Rs 4,200 crore was given by
the Centre for survival of the ITI, it failed due to "misuse"
of fund by the management, the delegation members alleged.
They demanded that instead of giving another package,
the ailing ITI should be merged with another company.
On way back to Lucknow, Sonia visited Bankagarh village
in Shivgarh area where six people were killed after inhaling
poisonous gas in a well yesterday.
She assured all possible assistance to family members of
the deceased and also announced to bear all expenses of
treatment of ailing son of one of the victims.
Congress has announced a state-wide chakka jam today to
protest Rahul`s arrest in Bhatta Parsaul last night and in
support of farmers` demands in Greater Noida. Rahul was later
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE