SP blames police for Moradabad violence
Lucknow: Opposition SP on Wednesday blamed the
Uttar Pradesh police for the communal tension in Moradabad,
even as the state government rejected their view saying
adequate security men have been deployed in the town to prevent
any untoward incident.
Raising the matter during Zero Hour in the Assembly,
Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan cited a similar incident in
1980 and said had the police been prompt, it could have warded
off yesterday`s violence after which curfew was imposed in
certain areas in the town.
He asked the government to ensure security to people
observing roza, and said any tension in place like Moradabad,
known for its brass work internationally, also affects
Leader of Opposition Shipal Singh Yadav regretted that
even at the time when there is a discussion on such an
important issue, the Chief Minister is not present in
the House, while blaming the police for the last night
In reply, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Lalji Verma
termed the incident as unfortunate, and said the government
has taken steps to control the situation.
He noted that curfew has been imposed in six police
station areas. Eleven people have been injured in the
violence, of whom one has been referred to a Delhi hospital
while two others are undergoing treatment at the district
hospital, the minister said, adding, the rest have been
discharged after first-aid.
Verma said 50 people have been arrested in connection
with the incident and 10 companies of the PAC, four of RAF
have been deployed, while three other companies of the RAF
have been summoned.
ADG security is camping in the town, he said.
Congress members protesting against the deteriorating law
and order in the state staged a walkout even before the
minister completed his reply.
BJP raised the issue of use of batons on ABVP workers
in Lucknow yesterday, to which Lalji Verma said the police
action was justified as the protesters went unruly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees