SP changing names of districts with `ill will`: Mayawati
Lucknow: BSP supremo Mayawati on Monday accused ruling SP of changing "with an ill will" the nomenclatures of districts named after saints, gurus and dalit icons during her regime.
"New districts were created during BSP regime and named after dalit and OBC icons so that they always remain a source of inspiration for the society," the former Chief Minister said here in a statement.
"But the present SP government has unnecessarily changed names of the districts with new ones that do not have any serious meaning. It is an insult to icons and to the society, and history will never forgive it," she said.
Mayawati said though reports of change in the names of districts were appearing in the media, she did not believe that the SP government would work "with an ill will" and go to the extent of insulting dalit and OBC icons.
"The decision of the SP government is very painful and condemnable. I think that (by doing so) SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and his Chief Minister son Akhilesh have got their names written in black letters in the pages of history," Mayawati said.
"My government never changed the name of any district, instead it created a new district and gave it an inspirational name," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Gurdaspur terror attack- As it happened
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India