SP changing names of districts with `ill will`: Mayawati
Lucknow: BSP supremo Mayawati on Monday accused ruling SP of changing "with an ill will" the nomenclatures of districts named after saints, gurus and dalit icons during her regime.
"New districts were created during BSP regime and named after dalit and OBC icons so that they always remain a source of inspiration for the society," the former Chief Minister said here in a statement.
"But the present SP government has unnecessarily changed names of the districts with new ones that do not have any serious meaning. It is an insult to icons and to the society, and history will never forgive it," she said.
Mayawati said though reports of change in the names of districts were appearing in the media, she did not believe that the SP government would work "with an ill will" and go to the extent of insulting dalit and OBC icons.
"The decision of the SP government is very painful and condemnable. I think that (by doing so) SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and his Chief Minister son Akhilesh have got their names written in black letters in the pages of history," Mayawati said.
"My government never changed the name of any district, instead it created a new district and gave it an inspirational name," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video