SP demands transfer of top UP officials
Lucknow: The Samajwadi Party on Monday met the Chief Election Commissioner and demanded the transfer of several high-profile officials in the Mayawati government to ensure free and fair assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh.
According to reports, a delegation of the Samajwadi Party today met CEC SY Quraishi and pressed for immediate transfer of Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh, DGP Brij Lal and Principal Secretary Kunwar Fateh Bahdur Singh-allegedly believed to be very close to BSP chief Mayawati.
The CEC, who reached here this morning, is touring the state to review election preparations. Quraishi will later hold a meeting with senior state government officials.
Two Election Commissioners VS Sampat and HS Brahma reached Lucknow yesterday evening.
The high-level team of the panel has also begun a tour of the state starting to chalk out preparations in this regard with the Income Tax department and other enforcement authorities for curbing use of illegal funds during polls.
The EC team is expected to meet the Director General of Investigations (Income Tax) and his team in Lucknow to review the deployment of I-T officials in these money `sensitive` constituencies.
Some of the seats identified as "expenditure sensitive" include Lucknow, Mathura, Agra, Gautam Budh Nagar, Mainpuri, Bareilly, Rai Bareilly, Chitrakoot, Gonda, Azamgarh and Gazipur.
According to EC rules, an `expenditure sensitive constituency` is identified "on the basis of past history, profile of the constituency and the state Chief Election Commissioner`s office identifies such seats which are prone to high expenditure and corrupt practices".
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31