SP demolishes BJP`s Ayodhya forte
Ayodhya: BJP has lost the temple town of Ayodhya, considered to be its bastion since 1991, from where it spearheaded the Ram temple movement which catapulted the party at the Centre.
BJP`s Lallu Singh, who was winning the seat since 1991 state elections, lost to a young student leader Tej Narain Pandey of Samajwadi Party with a margin of about 5,700 votes. Singh had won in 2007 with a margin of about 6,500.
When the counting started, Lallu took a lead in urban and posh areas of Faizabad and Ayodhya, but his lead decreased continuously as the counting went through Muslim dominated areas and villages.
After declaring Pandey as a candidate from Ayodhya seat, SP state president Akhilesh Yadav visited the area several times and established a direct contact with the voters.
Reacting over his victory, Pandey said, "Now a common man does not believe in false politics of temple, everybody wants development and a good governance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security