SP govt may withdraw case against Varun Gandhi
Lucknow: After going soft on Amar Singh, the SP government is considering withdrawing cases against BJP leader Varun Gandhi after seeking a report from the district administration on complaints that he had made certain inflammatory speeches during the last Lok Sabha poll campaign.
"A report was sought from the district administration on whether cases can be withdrawn against Gandhi in public interest. We have received the report...A decision will be taken soon," a senior Home department official said.
Three cases including creating enmity between people on religious ground, committing malicious acts to cause outrage by insulting religion and attempt to murder were lodged against the BJP MP from Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh during 2009 Lok Sabha election campaign for his alleged inflammatory speeches.
The action was initiated on the request of 32-year-old Gandhi, who had written to the state government in this regard.
Two FIRs against Varun were lodged at Barkhera police station for allegedly delivering inflammatory speeches and the third FIR was in connection with the violence when he was taken to jail after his surrender. The police has already filed charge sheets in these cases.
In a relief for Amar Singh, the Uttar Pradesh Police has submitted a closure report in a district court in Kanpur on November 3 in the three-year-old fraud and embezzlement case against the Rajya Sabha MP, citing lack of evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Prakash Javadekar rewrites history! Watch video to know what he said about Netaji, Nehru and Patel
- Amit Shah inaugurates BJP state core group workshop
- Ind-Ra upticks GDP forecast to 7.8%; growth on but not speedy
- Statue of Chandra Shekhar Azad vandalised in Haryana
- Fed up with heavy school bags, two students hold press meet to narrate woes - READ