SP leader killed, activists resort to violence
Allahabad: The murder of a Samajwadi Party (SP) leader here sparked violence and tension after party activists damaged several vehicles, blocked roads and targeted public property in protest against the killing, police said Saturday.
Ajai Rai, 30, was found dead on Friday night in Naini area. His body bearing bullet injuries was recovered from bushes and his licensed revolver was missing.
Police was yet to ascertain the motive behind the crime and the identity of the attackers.
Protesting against the killing, party activists indulged in heavy stone-pelting, targeting vehicles and public property.
"Additional security has been deployed in the area. The situation is still tense but under control," police inspector Ajai Seth told reporters in Allahabad, some 200 km from Lucknow.
While Rai was a member of the district unit of the party, his wife is the secretary of the party`s district-level women`s wing here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand