SP leaders arrested enroute Bareilly
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party leaders, including
Leader of Opposition in the Assembly, Shivpal Singh Yadav,
were arrested today for defying prohibitory orders and trying
to reach Bareilly, where curfew was clamped after communal
While Yadav, along with other party workers, was arrested
in Fatehgarh, Leader of Opposition in the Council, Ahmad Hasan
was detained in Malihabad near Lucknow.
"Communal tension in Bareilly erupted due to laxity of the
BSP government and to conceal it, it is preventing SP workers
from reaching there," SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary alleged.
"SP strongly condemns this undemocratic action of the
BSP government," he said.
At least 55 people were arrested yesterday in trouble-hit
areas of the city where two communities clashed with each
other and indulged in arson following dispute over their
respective religious processions.
Trouble had erupted when some elements hurled stones on
`barawafat` procession leading to a clash between two groups,
which engaged in heavy brick-batting and exchanged fire
leaving some injured.
Police had used force and fired rubber bullets and tear
gas shells to control the mob. As a preventive measure, curfew
was clamped in Prem Nagar, Qila, Baradari and Kotwali also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad