SP leader`s killing: Ghaziabad lawyers go on strike
Ghaziabad: The Ghaziabad Bar Association Wednesday went on a three-day strike to protest the murder of lawyer and Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Yashvir Yadav here.
"The main accused, Mitthan Lal, was running an illicit liquor business. He was protected by police and a minister in UP government. The same minister was instrumental in facilitating his surrender in a Bulandshahr court," claimed Rakesh Tyagi Kakra, president of the bar association, while announcing the strike would continue till Friday.
"The bar will write to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to order an independent probe into the suspected role of the minister," Kakra added.
More than 500 lawyers barged into the office of Ghaziabad senior superintendent of police (SSP) Wednesday and demanded that culprits be arrested immediately.
They submitted to the SSP names of four lawyers with whom he could share information on the progress of the investigation.
"The police failed to arrest any of the culprits, while the main accused has surrendered in the Bulandshahr court," Kakra said.
Sanjay Yadav, president of the SP`s city unit, claimed that police did not announce recovery of the weapons used in the murder, which were found in an open field near Dasna under the Masuri police station.
Yashvir Yadav was killed when a dozen men barged into his house in the Bamheta residential locality in Kavi Nagar area Monday. The assailants looted Yadav`s licensed firearms before getting away in cars and motorcycles, police said.
"The assailants came in two cars and on two motorcycles. Advocate Yashvir and Mithhan had developed enmity over setting up of a shop in a make-shift market. Mithhan and his accomplices killed Yashvir, injured two others, and looted weapons before escaping," a senior police official said.
A case has been registered, but no arrest has been made so far, the official added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview