SP leader`s killing: Ghaziabad lawyers go on strike
Ghaziabad: The Ghaziabad Bar Association Wednesday went on a three-day strike to protest the murder of lawyer and Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Yashvir Yadav here.
"The main accused, Mitthan Lal, was running an illicit liquor business. He was protected by police and a minister in UP government. The same minister was instrumental in facilitating his surrender in a Bulandshahr court," claimed Rakesh Tyagi Kakra, president of the bar association, while announcing the strike would continue till Friday.
"The bar will write to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to order an independent probe into the suspected role of the minister," Kakra added.
More than 500 lawyers barged into the office of Ghaziabad senior superintendent of police (SSP) Wednesday and demanded that culprits be arrested immediately.
They submitted to the SSP names of four lawyers with whom he could share information on the progress of the investigation.
"The police failed to arrest any of the culprits, while the main accused has surrendered in the Bulandshahr court," Kakra said.
Sanjay Yadav, president of the SP`s city unit, claimed that police did not announce recovery of the weapons used in the murder, which were found in an open field near Dasna under the Masuri police station.
Yashvir Yadav was killed when a dozen men barged into his house in the Bamheta residential locality in Kavi Nagar area Monday. The assailants looted Yadav`s licensed firearms before getting away in cars and motorcycles, police said.
"The assailants came in two cars and on two motorcycles. Advocate Yashvir and Mithhan had developed enmity over setting up of a shop in a make-shift market. Mithhan and his accomplices killed Yashvir, injured two others, and looted weapons before escaping," a senior police official said.
A case has been registered, but no arrest has been made so far, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her