SP leadership face flak for "Saifai Mahotsav"
Lucknow: The SP leadership in Uttar Pradesh came under attack on Sunday over holding the annual festival of song and dance at the Yadav family`s native village at a time when hundreds of victims of Muzaffarnagar riots were living in difficult circumstances in relief camps.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, however, defended the two-week long "Saifai Mahotsav" that commenced on December 26, calling it a Samajwadi tradition and said he is well aware that the event will come under the scanner of the media.
"I know you have not come here to cover the festival, but instead you have come here to show in one window that people are suffering in the camps and on the other, you will show the festivities," the Samajwadi Party(SP) leader told reporters at Safai in Etawah district, about 250 km from Lucknow.
AAP leader Sanjay Singh condemned the staging of the event and slammed the SP government for "demolishing few relief camps" meant for the riot victims of Muzaffarnagar and Shamli.
"UP government should compensate victims and do something for them," Singh added.
Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma was among others who attacked the SP leadership over the annual event.
"While children are dying daily in these relief camps, Yadav is organising Saifai Mahotsav and programmes by dancers from foreign countries. He should immediately postpone Saifai Mahotsava.
He is making fun while children are dying. The curse of these children will finish him," Verma, who has been always critical of the Yadav family," Verma said.
Several popular personalities from the entertainment industry perform at the event. Dancers from foreign countries are also flown in.
Samajwadi Party spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said the state government was doing everything possible to provide relief and succour to the riot victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday