SP losing support over law and order situation in UP: Congress
Kanpur: Deteriorating law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh is denting ruling Samajwadi Party`s support base among the people, who are now turning to Congress, Union Coal Minister Shriprakash Jaiswal said on Sunday.
The SP was voted to power to establish an environment of communal harmony in the state, but more than ten communal clashes have been reported from the state in the first year of the Akhilesh Yadav-government belying those hopes, said Jaiswal.
Incidents like the recent killing of a DSP in Pratapgarh district are fuelling fears among the public over their safety and security, the Minister said.
DSP Zia-ul-Haq was shot dead during mob violence on March 2 and UP leader Raghuraj Pratap Singh, alias Raja Bhaiya has been accused of being involved in the killing, following which, he resigned as a minister from the SP government.
Asked why the UPA government at the Centre was not imposing President`s rule in the state under Article 356, Jaiswal said that removing the SP government will not be in keeping with those who had chosen the party to run the state.
Talking about the JD(U) rally in Delhi where Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar demanded special status for the state, Jaiswal said that the Centre will try to address the issue keeping with the Constitution in mind and on the basis of resources at its disposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown