SP losing support over law and order situation in UP: Congress
Kanpur: Deteriorating law and order situation in Uttar Pradesh is denting ruling Samajwadi Party`s support base among the people, who are now turning to Congress, Union Coal Minister Shriprakash Jaiswal said on Sunday.
The SP was voted to power to establish an environment of communal harmony in the state, but more than ten communal clashes have been reported from the state in the first year of the Akhilesh Yadav-government belying those hopes, said Jaiswal.
Incidents like the recent killing of a DSP in Pratapgarh district are fuelling fears among the public over their safety and security, the Minister said.
DSP Zia-ul-Haq was shot dead during mob violence on March 2 and UP leader Raghuraj Pratap Singh, alias Raja Bhaiya has been accused of being involved in the killing, following which, he resigned as a minister from the SP government.
Asked why the UPA government at the Centre was not imposing President`s rule in the state under Article 356, Jaiswal said that removing the SP government will not be in keeping with those who had chosen the party to run the state.
Talking about the JD(U) rally in Delhi where Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar demanded special status for the state, Jaiswal said that the Centre will try to address the issue keeping with the Constitution in mind and on the basis of resources at its disposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened