SP MLA Narayan Singh passes away, CM offers condolences
Allahabad: Samajwadi Party MLA Mahesh Narayan Singh died at a hospital in Gurgaon following prolonged illness, party sources said here today.
He was 55 and is survived by wife and a son.
The MLA, who represented Handia constituency, breathed his last yesterday at the Medanta Hospital where he had been undergoing treatment for the past four months.
His body was brought to his native village Junaidpur, on the outskirts of the city, this morning where Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav offered his condolences before returning to Lucknow.
Singh made his electoral debut in 2002 assembly polls in which he pulled off a stunning victory, beating former UP Minister Rakesh Dhar Tripathi.
After having lost to Tripathi in the 2007, Singh wrested the seat back with a victory margin of more than 45,000 votes in the assembly elections last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?