SP MLA Narayan Singh passes away, CM offers condolences
Allahabad: Samajwadi Party MLA Mahesh Narayan Singh died at a hospital in Gurgaon following prolonged illness, party sources said here today.
He was 55 and is survived by wife and a son.
The MLA, who represented Handia constituency, breathed his last yesterday at the Medanta Hospital where he had been undergoing treatment for the past four months.
His body was brought to his native village Junaidpur, on the outskirts of the city, this morning where Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav offered his condolences before returning to Lucknow.
Singh made his electoral debut in 2002 assembly polls in which he pulled off a stunning victory, beating former UP Minister Rakesh Dhar Tripathi.
After having lost to Tripathi in the 2007, Singh wrested the seat back with a victory margin of more than 45,000 votes in the assembly elections last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'