SP MLA Narayan Singh passes away, CM offers condolences
Allahabad: Samajwadi Party MLA Mahesh Narayan Singh died at a hospital in Gurgaon following prolonged illness, party sources said here today.
He was 55 and is survived by wife and a son.
The MLA, who represented Handia constituency, breathed his last yesterday at the Medanta Hospital where he had been undergoing treatment for the past four months.
His body was brought to his native village Junaidpur, on the outskirts of the city, this morning where Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav offered his condolences before returning to Lucknow.
Singh made his electoral debut in 2002 assembly polls in which he pulled off a stunning victory, beating former UP Minister Rakesh Dhar Tripathi.
After having lost to Tripathi in the 2007, Singh wrested the seat back with a victory margin of more than 45,000 votes in the assembly elections last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference