SP nominee Nawab elected unopposed to Legislative
Lucknow: Ruling Samajwadi Party nominee Bukkal Nawab has been elected unopposed to the state Legislative Council on the seat which fell vacant after the resignation of BSP supremo and former Chief minister Mayawati.
"As on the last day of filing of nomination papers yesterday no one turned up, Bukkal Nawab was declared elected unopposed on the seat," Vidhan Sabha sources said here.
The seat had fallen vacant due to resignation of the former CM following her election to Rajya Sabha after the drubbing in the Assembly elections.
Nawab`s tenure will end on May 6, 2016, Principal Secretary Vidhan Sabha Pradeep Kumar Dubey said.
Nawab is a Shia Muslim and a known face in old Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy