SP nominee Nawab elected unopposed to Legislative
Lucknow: Ruling Samajwadi Party nominee Bukkal Nawab has been elected unopposed to the state Legislative Council on the seat which fell vacant after the resignation of BSP supremo and former Chief minister Mayawati.
"As on the last day of filing of nomination papers yesterday no one turned up, Bukkal Nawab was declared elected unopposed on the seat," Vidhan Sabha sources said here.
The seat had fallen vacant due to resignation of the former CM following her election to Rajya Sabha after the drubbing in the Assembly elections.
Nawab`s tenure will end on May 6, 2016, Principal Secretary Vidhan Sabha Pradeep Kumar Dubey said.
Nawab is a Shia Muslim and a known face in old Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda