SP nominee Nawab elected unopposed to Legislative
Lucknow: Ruling Samajwadi Party nominee Bukkal Nawab has been elected unopposed to the state Legislative Council on the seat which fell vacant after the resignation of BSP supremo and former Chief minister Mayawati.
"As on the last day of filing of nomination papers yesterday no one turned up, Bukkal Nawab was declared elected unopposed on the seat," Vidhan Sabha sources said here.
The seat had fallen vacant due to resignation of the former CM following her election to Rajya Sabha after the drubbing in the Assembly elections.
Nawab`s tenure will end on May 6, 2016, Principal Secretary Vidhan Sabha Pradeep Kumar Dubey said.
Nawab is a Shia Muslim and a known face in old Lucknow.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'