SP providing lifeline to Congress despite scams
Kolkata: Samajwadi Party on Wednesday said it was providing a "lifeline" to the Congress-led UPA government despite corruption charges and scams to prevent communal forces from coming to power and to save the nation from the huge expenses of an early general election.
"Congress is beset with various scams and corruption charges, but we are still providing a lifeline, because we do not want communal BJP to come to power and burden the country with an early election," SP general secretary Mohan Singh told a press conference here.
Asked when the SP would take back support from the Congress, he said, "We will let you know when the time will come to pull the plug.
"Now the BJP is relatively in a good position and the regional parties are not united," the SP general secretary said.
"When that happens we will see," he said without elaborating.
To a question of possibility of a Third Front comprising non-Congress and non-BJP parties, he said, "Seeds have already been sown and things will start rolling at an appropriate time."
Asked whether the SP will talk to the Trinamool Congress, he said, "Trinamool Congress is a prominent regional party, when we speak to the other regional parties, it is our compulsion to talk to them. But we are traditionally close to the Left. Comrades Harkishan Singh Surjeet and Jyoti Basu have helped us in our moments of crisis."
Asked whether SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was the party`s prime ministerial candidate, he said, "If we declare a prime ministerial candidate then formation of Third Front will be difficult.
"But then who does not want to become Prime Minister? Finding a leader will not be a difficult task. Let the Third Front take shape, then a decision on the prime ministerial candidate will be taken."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Rupee snaps 9-day slide, rebounds 42 paise to 67.33 Vs USD
- Have always been confident about my work: Richa Chadha
- Foreign investors bullish on equity, cautious on debt: DBS
- Shocking! Death-defying train stunt performed by youngsters in Mumbai - Watch video
- Shooter Heena Sidhu misses out on final berth