SP reverses more decisions taken by Mayawati
Lucknow: Reversing yet another decision taken during Mayawati regime, the Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday decided to discontinue two schemes in the name of Dalit icon Bhimrao Ambedkar and launch a fresh one in the name of socialist leader Ram Manohar Lohia.
A meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav decided to discontinue Bhimrao Ambedkar tubewell schemes (special component plan) and Ambedkar collective tubewell scheme for construction of tubewells.
Instead, it gave nod to the proposal to launch Ram Manohar Lohia Community Tubewell scheme.
Under the scheme, SC/ST dominated farmers groups would get a maximum grant of Rs 5 lakh for construction of tubewell, whereas the group of general category dominated by small and marginal farmers would get a grant of Rs 3.92 lakh.
Much to the chagrin of Mayawati, the SP government earlier rechristened certain schemes or projects launched during the BSP regime.
Soon after coming to power, the state government renamed eight districts created during BSP regime.
The Akhilesh Yadav government on July 23 renamed Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar (formerly known as Amethi) as Gauriganj and Rambai Nagar as Kanpur Dehat.
The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Panchsheel Nagar were changed to Bahjoi, Shamli and Hapur respectively.
Similarly, names of Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and JP Nagar were changed to Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha.
The government restored name of King George`s Medical University (KGMU), which was changed to Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University during BSP regime.
It closed several schemes like Savitribai Phule Balika Madad Yojna and launched Kanya Vidyadhan scheme - launched by the Mayawati government.
The SP government also changed the name of Urdu, Arabic and Persian University named after BSP founder Kanshiram and renamed it after Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state