SP reverses more decisions taken by Mayawati
Lucknow: Reversing yet another decision taken during Mayawati regime, the Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday decided to discontinue two schemes in the name of Dalit icon Bhimrao Ambedkar and launch a fresh one in the name of socialist leader Ram Manohar Lohia.
A meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav decided to discontinue Bhimrao Ambedkar tubewell schemes (special component plan) and Ambedkar collective tubewell scheme for construction of tubewells.
Instead, it gave nod to the proposal to launch Ram Manohar Lohia Community Tubewell scheme.
Under the scheme, SC/ST dominated farmers groups would get a maximum grant of Rs 5 lakh for construction of tubewell, whereas the group of general category dominated by small and marginal farmers would get a grant of Rs 3.92 lakh.
Much to the chagrin of Mayawati, the SP government earlier rechristened certain schemes or projects launched during the BSP regime.
Soon after coming to power, the state government renamed eight districts created during BSP regime.
The Akhilesh Yadav government on July 23 renamed Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar (formerly known as Amethi) as Gauriganj and Rambai Nagar as Kanpur Dehat.
The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Panchsheel Nagar were changed to Bahjoi, Shamli and Hapur respectively.
Similarly, names of Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and JP Nagar were changed to Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha.
The government restored name of King George`s Medical University (KGMU), which was changed to Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University during BSP regime.
It closed several schemes like Savitribai Phule Balika Madad Yojna and launched Kanya Vidyadhan scheme - launched by the Mayawati government.
The SP government also changed the name of Urdu, Arabic and Persian University named after BSP founder Kanshiram and renamed it after Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing