SP wins two Assembly by-polls in UP
Lucknow: In the absence of ruling BSP
candidates, SP on Tuesday retained Nidhauli Kalan and Lakhimpur
Kheri Assembly seats where by-elections were held on Saturday.
Amit Gaurav and Utkarsh Verma won from Nidhauli Kalan
and Lakhimpur Kheri seats, relegating BJP and Congress behind
little known regional parties which finished second at both
Amit defeated his nearest rival of Kalyan Singh`s
Jankranti Party, Virendra Kumar by 23,484 votes. Utkarsh
humbled Shashidhar Mishra of Peace Party by 17,589 votes, the
state election office said.
Bharat Verma of Congress took the third spot while
Rajesh Yadav of BJP fared a poor fourth losing his security
deposit in Nidhauli Kalan.
Amit is the son of Anil Kumar Singh, the sitting SP MLA
whose death had necessitated the by-election in Nidhauli
In Lakhimpur Kheri, the by-election was caused following
the death of sitting MLA Kaushal Kishore.
Congress had fielded Saif Ali Naqvi, son of sitting
party MP Zafar Ali Naqvi from Lakhimpur Kheri but polled only
The BSP stayed away from the bypolls with senior party
leaders maintaining that there main focus was the 2012
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore