SP workers hold demonstrations, stop train in Allahabad
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party workers thursday held demonstrations in some parts of Uttar Pradesh and stopped a train in Allahabad in support of the bandh against FDI in retail and hike in diesel prices.
Raising slogans against FDI in retail, a group of workers held a demonstration outside the Walmart store at Sultanpur here.
A group of workers also held a protest outside Divisional Railway Manager`s office in Hazratganj.
Reports of similar protests also poured in from other districts including Allahabad where activists of the youth wing of the ruling SP stopped the Bareilly-bound Triveni Express at 5.30 AM on Niranjan railway bridge.
They protesters assembled in large numbers along the railway tracks and also burnt the effigies of the Prime Minister and Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
The agitation delayed the onward journey of the train by an hour.
Senior SP leaders including SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav are likely to hold a protest later in the day against hike in diesel and LPG prices and allowing FDI in retail.
SP has directed its workers not to take law in their hands and hold peaceful protest, SP spokesman Rajendra Chowhdury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police