Special monsoon patrolling at Dudhwa reserve to check poaching
Lakhimpur (UP): Special preparations have been made by Dudhwa Tiger Reserve authorities to protect wild animals from monsoon and poachers, who take benefit of these weather conditions.
Field Director Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) Shailesh Prasad told PTI that after a hectic visit to the reserve and serious discussions with field staff, sensitive areas of the same have been identified with enforcement of monsoon patrolling strategy.
He informed that 49 patrolling teams have been formed, which will patrol the entire reserve areas on elephants with key focus upon sensitive areas.
He said that two motorboats with adequate fuel have been kept ready while the patrolling staff have been provided with all equipments including wireless sets, nets, water-proof ropes, arms and ammunition to protect the wild animals from floods as well as from poachers.
Prasad said that 18 additional wireless sets have been arranged in case of need.
The patrolling officials, right from deputy director to guards, have been instructed to keep a vigil during the monsoon, he said.
People would be held accountable if any laxity was found during the monsoon patrolling, he said.
During monsoon, entire DTR, comprising Dudhwa National Park (DNP), Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary (KWS) and Katarnia Ghat Wildlife Sanctuary (KGWS) get inundated with flood caused by the Mohana, Suheli rivers and several rivulets and big drains.
With almost all parts of the reserve and major routes submerged in flood waters, normal patrolling on foot as well as on vehicles gets almost impossible.
This odd situation attracts the poachers, who attempt to target the wild animals during the monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble