Special monsoon patrolling at Dudhwa reserve to check poaching
Lakhimpur (UP): Special preparations have been made by Dudhwa Tiger Reserve authorities to protect wild animals from monsoon and poachers, who take benefit of these weather conditions.
Field Director Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) Shailesh Prasad told PTI that after a hectic visit to the reserve and serious discussions with field staff, sensitive areas of the same have been identified with enforcement of monsoon patrolling strategy.
He informed that 49 patrolling teams have been formed, which will patrol the entire reserve areas on elephants with key focus upon sensitive areas.
He said that two motorboats with adequate fuel have been kept ready while the patrolling staff have been provided with all equipments including wireless sets, nets, water-proof ropes, arms and ammunition to protect the wild animals from floods as well as from poachers.
Prasad said that 18 additional wireless sets have been arranged in case of need.
The patrolling officials, right from deputy director to guards, have been instructed to keep a vigil during the monsoon, he said.
People would be held accountable if any laxity was found during the monsoon patrolling, he said.
During monsoon, entire DTR, comprising Dudhwa National Park (DNP), Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary (KWS) and Katarnia Ghat Wildlife Sanctuary (KGWS) get inundated with flood caused by the Mohana, Suheli rivers and several rivulets and big drains.
With almost all parts of the reserve and major routes submerged in flood waters, normal patrolling on foot as well as on vehicles gets almost impossible.
This odd situation attracts the poachers, who attempt to target the wild animals during the monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Peter Mukerjea knew Sheena was Indrani's daughter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them