Special monsoon patrolling at Dudhwa reserve to check poaching
Lakhimpur (UP): Special preparations have been made by Dudhwa Tiger Reserve authorities to protect wild animals from monsoon and poachers, who take benefit of these weather conditions.
Field Director Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) Shailesh Prasad told PTI that after a hectic visit to the reserve and serious discussions with field staff, sensitive areas of the same have been identified with enforcement of monsoon patrolling strategy.
He informed that 49 patrolling teams have been formed, which will patrol the entire reserve areas on elephants with key focus upon sensitive areas.
He said that two motorboats with adequate fuel have been kept ready while the patrolling staff have been provided with all equipments including wireless sets, nets, water-proof ropes, arms and ammunition to protect the wild animals from floods as well as from poachers.
Prasad said that 18 additional wireless sets have been arranged in case of need.
The patrolling officials, right from deputy director to guards, have been instructed to keep a vigil during the monsoon, he said.
People would be held accountable if any laxity was found during the monsoon patrolling, he said.
During monsoon, entire DTR, comprising Dudhwa National Park (DNP), Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary (KWS) and Katarnia Ghat Wildlife Sanctuary (KGWS) get inundated with flood caused by the Mohana, Suheli rivers and several rivulets and big drains.
With almost all parts of the reserve and major routes submerged in flood waters, normal patrolling on foot as well as on vehicles gets almost impossible.
This odd situation attracts the poachers, who attempt to target the wild animals during the monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town