Speeding truck mows down 15 in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Fifteen people were mowed down by a speeding truck in Uttar Pradesh`s Etawah district, police said on Sunday.
The accident took place near Barlokpur village on the Farrukhabad-Etawah road late Saturday when the chassis of the speeding truck broke down and the driver lost control.
The truck first rammed into a Bolero jeep, killing two on the spot, and then entered a crowded village lane, killing 13 others.
The bodies of the victims were dragged for over 300 metres by the truck before it stopped, a police official said.
A team led by Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rajesh Modak, which reached the accident site later in the night, faced protest from villagers as they began pelting stones at police.
Subsequently, Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) troops were rushed in to control the mob.
The situation remained under control early Sunday, police said.
Etawah is around 240 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists