Speeding truck mows down 15 in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Fifteen people were mowed down by a speeding truck in Uttar Pradesh`s Etawah district, police said on Sunday.
The accident took place near Barlokpur village on the Farrukhabad-Etawah road late Saturday when the chassis of the speeding truck broke down and the driver lost control.
The truck first rammed into a Bolero jeep, killing two on the spot, and then entered a crowded village lane, killing 13 others.
The bodies of the victims were dragged for over 300 metres by the truck before it stopped, a police official said.
A team led by Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rajesh Modak, which reached the accident site later in the night, faced protest from villagers as they began pelting stones at police.
Subsequently, Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) troops were rushed in to control the mob.
The situation remained under control early Sunday, police said.
Etawah is around 240 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond
- Narendra Modi government failed to create jobs, aid agriculture: Congress
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond says Judi Dench
- Give education, equality to girl child, urges Amitabh Bachchan