SP`s opposition to diesel price hike a drama: BJP
Lucknow: The BJP on Thursday described ruling Samajwadi Party`s opposition to the hike in diesel price as a "drama" and demanded that the government reduce value added tax (VAT) in the state if it was really concerned about the people.
"SP`s opposition against hike in diesel price is nothing more than drama to distract the attention of the people from the poor law and order situation and its failure to deliver in the six months of its government," BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak alleged.
While SP was protesting against the increase in fuel prices, the government was getting additional revenue running into several crores of rupees per day due to high VAT in Uttar Pradesh, he claimed.
"As compared to neighbouring states like Haryana, Punjab and Delhi where VAT on diesel is 9.24 percent, 9.07 percent and 12.5 percent respectively, state tax on diesel in UP is 17.23 percent, which is the highest" Pathak said.
VAT on diesel in Bihar was lower than UP at 16 percent, he said, adding that due to high VAT, price of diesel has increased from Rs 6.34 per litre to Rs 7.2 per litre.
This has also raised bus fares in the state, he said.
"If the government is concerned about the welfare of the people and specially farmers why does it not reduce tax on diesel to give some respite from the price rise?" he asked.
Even in its poll manifesto, SP had promised to reduce tax on petroleum products and make it equivalent to its neighbouring states. However, after coming to power, the party "made a volte face and forgot its promise," he accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead