Spurned lover sets girl on fire in UP
Lucknow: A 17-year-old girl was Thursday set on fire by her spurned lover in a village in Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad district, police said. She sustained 40 percent burns.
The incident took place in the Moodhapandey village where the girl refused to marry local youth Rizwan. Angry at his overtures being spurned, the youth, along with two of his friends, Zulfikar Talim and Naseem, went to the girl`s house and after a brief argument, doused her with kerosene and set her on fire.
As the parents and other family members of the girl rushed to rescue her, the assailants fled. The girl`s father informed police after which a first information report (FIR) was filed against the three attackers.
The girl has been admitted to a nearby medical facility with 40 per cent burns.
She has recorded her statement before a magistrate and the police are looking for the assailants.
No arrests have been made so far.
A girl was similarly burnt recently in Moradabad, around 350 km from here, after a failed rape attempt and died of severe burn injuries at Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi earlier this week.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on