Spurned lover sets girl on fire in UP
Lucknow: A 17-year-old girl was Thursday set on fire by her spurned lover in a village in Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad district, police said. She sustained 40 percent burns.
The incident took place in the Moodhapandey village where the girl refused to marry local youth Rizwan. Angry at his overtures being spurned, the youth, along with two of his friends, Zulfikar Talim and Naseem, went to the girl`s house and after a brief argument, doused her with kerosene and set her on fire.
As the parents and other family members of the girl rushed to rescue her, the assailants fled. The girl`s father informed police after which a first information report (FIR) was filed against the three attackers.
The girl has been admitted to a nearby medical facility with 40 per cent burns.
She has recorded her statement before a magistrate and the police are looking for the assailants.
No arrests have been made so far.
A girl was similarly burnt recently in Moradabad, around 350 km from here, after a failed rape attempt and died of severe burn injuries at Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi earlier this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’