Spurned lover sets girl on fire in UP
Lucknow: A 17-year-old girl was Thursday set on fire by her spurned lover in a village in Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad district, police said. She sustained 40 percent burns.
The incident took place in the Moodhapandey village where the girl refused to marry local youth Rizwan. Angry at his overtures being spurned, the youth, along with two of his friends, Zulfikar Talim and Naseem, went to the girl`s house and after a brief argument, doused her with kerosene and set her on fire.
As the parents and other family members of the girl rushed to rescue her, the assailants fled. The girl`s father informed police after which a first information report (FIR) was filed against the three attackers.
The girl has been admitted to a nearby medical facility with 40 per cent burns.
She has recorded her statement before a magistrate and the police are looking for the assailants.
No arrests have been made so far.
A girl was similarly burnt recently in Moradabad, around 350 km from here, after a failed rape attempt and died of severe burn injuries at Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi earlier this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top aide of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander surrenders in Kashmir
- Darshan Kumaar, Randeep Hooda and Vijender Singh showcase 'Jat power punch'! See pic
- Fifty years after his death, VD Savarkar trending on Twitter: Know why
- BSER Rajasthan Board Class 12 (Arts) Examination Results 2016 to be declared soon on rajresults.nic.in and rajeduboard.nic.in
- IPL VIDEO: This is how Poonam Pandey showered love on RCB skipper Virat Kohli