SSP asks for CBI or CB-CID probe into Aug 27 Kawal incident
Lucknow: The Muzaffarnagar police chief has requested for a CBI or CB-CID inquiry into the incident in Kawal village on August 27, in which three youth were killed over an eveteasing incident that led to riots in the district.
SSP, Muzaffarnagar, Pravin Kumar has written to Uttar Pradesh DGP Devraj Nagar requesting for an independent probe by Central Bureau of Investigation or Crime Branch of Criminal Investigation Department into the incident.
"The DGP office here has received a letter from the SSP requesting for an independent probe by CBI/CB-CID into the Kawal incident," a senior official of the police department said today.
The letter would be forwarded to the government for further action, the official said.
49 persons were killed and thousands rendered homeless in riots in Muzaffarnagar and its adjoining areas.
Meanwhile, SSP Muzaffarnagar has proceeded on ten days` medical leave from September 25.
Kumar is unwell and reportedly undergoing treatment at AIIMS, Delhi, sources said, adding that no officer has been posted in his place so far.
SP (Crime) K Saxena is currently officiating in his place, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'