SSP asks for CBI or CB-CID probe into Aug 27 Kawal incident
Lucknow: The Muzaffarnagar police chief has requested for a CBI or CB-CID inquiry into the incident in Kawal village on August 27, in which three youth were killed over an eveteasing incident that led to riots in the district.
SSP, Muzaffarnagar, Pravin Kumar has written to Uttar Pradesh DGP Devraj Nagar requesting for an independent probe by Central Bureau of Investigation or Crime Branch of Criminal Investigation Department into the incident.
"The DGP office here has received a letter from the SSP requesting for an independent probe by CBI/CB-CID into the Kawal incident," a senior official of the police department said today.
The letter would be forwarded to the government for further action, the official said.
49 persons were killed and thousands rendered homeless in riots in Muzaffarnagar and its adjoining areas.
Meanwhile, SSP Muzaffarnagar has proceeded on ten days` medical leave from September 25.
Kumar is unwell and reportedly undergoing treatment at AIIMS, Delhi, sources said, adding that no officer has been posted in his place so far.
SP (Crime) K Saxena is currently officiating in his place, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!