SSP asks for CBI or CB-CID probe into Aug 27 Kawal incident
Lucknow: The Muzaffarnagar police chief has requested for a CBI or CB-CID inquiry into the incident in Kawal village on August 27, in which three youth were killed over an eveteasing incident that led to riots in the district.
SSP, Muzaffarnagar, Pravin Kumar has written to Uttar Pradesh DGP Devraj Nagar requesting for an independent probe by Central Bureau of Investigation or Crime Branch of Criminal Investigation Department into the incident.
"The DGP office here has received a letter from the SSP requesting for an independent probe by CBI/CB-CID into the Kawal incident," a senior official of the police department said today.
The letter would be forwarded to the government for further action, the official said.
49 persons were killed and thousands rendered homeless in riots in Muzaffarnagar and its adjoining areas.
Meanwhile, SSP Muzaffarnagar has proceeded on ten days` medical leave from September 25.
Kumar is unwell and reportedly undergoing treatment at AIIMS, Delhi, sources said, adding that no officer has been posted in his place so far.
SP (Crime) K Saxena is currently officiating in his place, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonam Kapoor with Shah Rukh Khan in a film? Here's what the diva has to say!
- Space station gets ready for expansion of inflatable capsule 'BEAM' today
- India home to 56 of the world's 2,000 largest public companies: Forbes
- SRH vs KKR, IPL 2016: Kuldeep's spell; Yuvraj's knock; Bhuvi-Mustafizur's accuracy – three talking points
- This packing hack is just awesome! Watch video