SSP asks for CBI or CB-CID probe into Aug 27 Kawal incident
Lucknow: The Muzaffarnagar police chief has requested for a CBI or CB-CID inquiry into the incident in Kawal village on August 27, in which three youth were killed over an eveteasing incident that led to riots in the district.
SSP, Muzaffarnagar, Pravin Kumar has written to Uttar Pradesh DGP Devraj Nagar requesting for an independent probe by Central Bureau of Investigation or Crime Branch of Criminal Investigation Department into the incident.
"The DGP office here has received a letter from the SSP requesting for an independent probe by CBI/CB-CID into the Kawal incident," a senior official of the police department said today.
The letter would be forwarded to the government for further action, the official said.
49 persons were killed and thousands rendered homeless in riots in Muzaffarnagar and its adjoining areas.
Meanwhile, SSP Muzaffarnagar has proceeded on ten days` medical leave from September 25.
Kumar is unwell and reportedly undergoing treatment at AIIMS, Delhi, sources said, adding that no officer has been posted in his place so far.
SP (Crime) K Saxena is currently officiating in his place, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Scientists produce rare wood bison calves through IVF
- Munich pulls together after shopping mall shooting
- West Indies legend Vivian Richards hails Virat Kohli's 'magnificent' innings
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility