Star power to add fuel to poll campaigning
Lucknow: The UP Assembly polls will see a sprinkling of star dust with political parties planning to rope in a bevy of Bollywood personalities to canvass for them.
Though all political parties have lined up some campaigners from Bollywood, newly-floated Bundelkhand Congress seems to be the front-runner in terms of "star appeal". Actor-turned-politician and president of Bundelkhand Congress Raja Bundela is also roping in local artists from the region.
Actors Anupam Kher, Nana Patekar, Sushmita Sen, director Satish Kaushik, character artists Raghuveer Yadav, Rajpal Yadav and Govind Namdev have given their consent to campaign
for the party, according to Bundela.
"To associate the people of Bundelkhand emotionally with the party, the help of Deshraj Pateria, who is described as king of folk music, and Ram Kishore Yadav alias Mukhiya would
also be taken," he said.
There is also talk of actress Nagma, actor Raja Murad and Ravi Kishen campaigning in favour of Congress candidates.
Raj Babbar, being a party MP, would obviously campaign extensively in favour of Congress, party sources said.
BJP has number of actors who are actively involved in politics, including MP Shatrughan Sinha, Rajya Sabha member Hema Malini, big star of small television Smriti Irani and
"They all will campaign for the party candidates during elections," party sources said.
Samajwadi Party would be the only party which would be lacking "star power".
Previously the party had added glamour to elections by either giving tickets to Bollywood actors or using their star value for campaigning.
In last Lok Sabha elections, Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt had campaigned extensively for SP candidates after he failed to contest election from Lucknow Lok Sabha seat.
In 2007, megastar Amitabh Bachchan did an advertisement in favour of SP government giving slogan of "UP mein hai dum, jurm yahan hai kum".
But the situation has changed in the last few years with Amar Singh`s exit from the party being termed as a reason for SP`s lack of star power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened