Star power to add fuel to poll campaigning
Lucknow: The UP Assembly polls will see a sprinkling of star dust with political parties planning to rope in a bevy of Bollywood personalities to canvass for them.
Though all political parties have lined up some campaigners from Bollywood, newly-floated Bundelkhand Congress seems to be the front-runner in terms of "star appeal". Actor-turned-politician and president of Bundelkhand Congress Raja Bundela is also roping in local artists from the region.
Actors Anupam Kher, Nana Patekar, Sushmita Sen, director Satish Kaushik, character artists Raghuveer Yadav, Rajpal Yadav and Govind Namdev have given their consent to campaign
for the party, according to Bundela.
"To associate the people of Bundelkhand emotionally with the party, the help of Deshraj Pateria, who is described as king of folk music, and Ram Kishore Yadav alias Mukhiya would
also be taken," he said.
There is also talk of actress Nagma, actor Raja Murad and Ravi Kishen campaigning in favour of Congress candidates.
Raj Babbar, being a party MP, would obviously campaign extensively in favour of Congress, party sources said.
BJP has number of actors who are actively involved in politics, including MP Shatrughan Sinha, Rajya Sabha member Hema Malini, big star of small television Smriti Irani and
"They all will campaign for the party candidates during elections," party sources said.
Samajwadi Party would be the only party which would be lacking "star power".
Previously the party had added glamour to elections by either giving tickets to Bollywood actors or using their star value for campaigning.
In last Lok Sabha elections, Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt had campaigned extensively for SP candidates after he failed to contest election from Lucknow Lok Sabha seat.
In 2007, megastar Amitabh Bachchan did an advertisement in favour of SP government giving slogan of "UP mein hai dum, jurm yahan hai kum".
But the situation has changed in the last few years with Amar Singh`s exit from the party being termed as a reason for SP`s lack of star power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks