Statue row: EC playing ‘neutral umpire’, says CEC
New Delhi: A day after Election Commission’s crucial order -- to drape the statues of UP Chief Minister Mayawati and BSP’s poll symbol - the elephant, till assembly polls in the state are over -- the Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi said it is playing the role of a "neutral umpire”.
Quraishi was speaking exclusively to Zeenews. “The Election Commission’s order to cover the statues is in compliance with the constitution and as per the model code of conduct for elections,” Quraishi said.
“We don’t have any problem with the statues. The idea is that no one should get political mileage”, he said.
“The statues were built on government land with government’s expenditure. So no political party has the right to use them as vehicle of publicity,” the CEC said adding “In election, publicity should be done with the expenditures of political parties, not with the government’s expenditure.”
Quraishi said that the Election Commission will ensure a "100% level playing field" in the elections any party which violates the model code of conduct will face the Election Commission. “This is the part of the duty of the Election Commission,” he said.
On its decision to transfer Brij Lal and Kunwar Fateh Bahadur from the post of DGP and Principal Secretary (Home), the Election Commissioner said that there were widespread public perceptions that the officers got out of the turn promotion because of their high political connections.
“The Election Commission has transferred Chief Secretary, Home Secretary and DGP during the last Assembly elections also”, he added.
Meanwhile, the state administration has started putting covers on the statues of UP Chief Minister Mayawati and BSP’s poll symbol, the elephant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know