Stone pelting at a Ramlila in Muzaffarnagar
Lucknow: A few unidentified men pelted stones at a Ramlila in Kawal town in Uttar Pradesh Friday night, raising tensions in the district that had witnessed communal violence in September leaving 62 people dead and 43,000 homeless, police said.
According to sources, stones were hurled at the stage and the at the audience of a Ramlila in the Muzaffarnagar town around midnight. The audience grew restless and a woman, who was trying to leave, was injured in the commotion.
A stone hit Savita, wife of a local resident Satbeer. Another woman was also injured when people ran for cover. The show was ended abruptly.
The injured woman was rushed to a hospital, and was shifted to the Muzaffarnagar district hospital, where she continues to be serious.
Circle Officer (CO) Mukesh Chandra Mishra rushed to the spot and immediately fanned out policemen in the area and requisitioned extra forces.
The situation was tense but under control, an official told a news agency.
In another incident, bike-borne assailants shot at a woman in Aryapuri and within 15 minutes a youngster was shot at on the Bhpa road.
Two persons were killed in two separate incidents Thursday triggering panic among the people.
Police say that these are attempts by mischief makers to vitiate the atmosphere in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India