Stone pelting at a Ramlila in Muzaffarnagar
Lucknow: A few unidentified men pelted stones at a Ramlila in Kawal town in Uttar Pradesh Friday night, raising tensions in the district that had witnessed communal violence in September leaving 62 people dead and 43,000 homeless, police said.
According to sources, stones were hurled at the stage and the at the audience of a Ramlila in the Muzaffarnagar town around midnight. The audience grew restless and a woman, who was trying to leave, was injured in the commotion.
A stone hit Savita, wife of a local resident Satbeer. Another woman was also injured when people ran for cover. The show was ended abruptly.
The injured woman was rushed to a hospital, and was shifted to the Muzaffarnagar district hospital, where she continues to be serious.
Circle Officer (CO) Mukesh Chandra Mishra rushed to the spot and immediately fanned out policemen in the area and requisitioned extra forces.
The situation was tense but under control, an official told a news agency.
In another incident, bike-borne assailants shot at a woman in Aryapuri and within 15 minutes a youngster was shot at on the Bhpa road.
Two persons were killed in two separate incidents Thursday triggering panic among the people.
Police say that these are attempts by mischief makers to vitiate the atmosphere in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok