Stone pelting at a Ramlila in Muzaffarnagar
Lucknow: A few unidentified men pelted stones at a Ramlila in Kawal town in Uttar Pradesh Friday night, raising tensions in the district that had witnessed communal violence in September leaving 62 people dead and 43,000 homeless, police said.
According to sources, stones were hurled at the stage and the at the audience of a Ramlila in the Muzaffarnagar town around midnight. The audience grew restless and a woman, who was trying to leave, was injured in the commotion.
A stone hit Savita, wife of a local resident Satbeer. Another woman was also injured when people ran for cover. The show was ended abruptly.
The injured woman was rushed to a hospital, and was shifted to the Muzaffarnagar district hospital, where she continues to be serious.
Circle Officer (CO) Mukesh Chandra Mishra rushed to the spot and immediately fanned out policemen in the area and requisitioned extra forces.
The situation was tense but under control, an official told a news agency.
In another incident, bike-borne assailants shot at a woman in Aryapuri and within 15 minutes a youngster was shot at on the Bhpa road.
Two persons were killed in two separate incidents Thursday triggering panic among the people.
Police say that these are attempts by mischief makers to vitiate the atmosphere in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll