Stone pelting at a Ramlila in Muzaffarnagar
Lucknow: A few unidentified men pelted stones at a Ramlila in Kawal town in Uttar Pradesh Friday night, raising tensions in the district that had witnessed communal violence in September leaving 62 people dead and 43,000 homeless, police said.
According to sources, stones were hurled at the stage and the at the audience of a Ramlila in the Muzaffarnagar town around midnight. The audience grew restless and a woman, who was trying to leave, was injured in the commotion.
A stone hit Savita, wife of a local resident Satbeer. Another woman was also injured when people ran for cover. The show was ended abruptly.
The injured woman was rushed to a hospital, and was shifted to the Muzaffarnagar district hospital, where she continues to be serious.
Circle Officer (CO) Mukesh Chandra Mishra rushed to the spot and immediately fanned out policemen in the area and requisitioned extra forces.
The situation was tense but under control, an official told a news agency.
In another incident, bike-borne assailants shot at a woman in Aryapuri and within 15 minutes a youngster was shot at on the Bhpa road.
Two persons were killed in two separate incidents Thursday triggering panic among the people.
Police say that these are attempts by mischief makers to vitiate the atmosphere in the district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!