Stray incidents in UP polls, 51 pc turnout
Lucknow: Amidst stray incidents, nearly 51 per cent votes were polled in the fourth and last phase of three-tier urban local body elections in 17 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
State Election Commissioner S K Agarwal said till 5 PM, 50.65 per cent votes were polled in Ghaziabad, Bijnore, Pilibhit, Mathura, Kanshiram Nagar, Jhansi, Mahoba, Chitrakoot, Pratapgarh, Unnao, Sitapur, Bahraich, Ambedkar Nagar, Sant Kabir Nagar, Kushinagar, Ghazipur and Sonbhadra.
He said that while maximum 64.66 per cent votes were polled in Ambedkar Nagar, lowest voting percentage of 44.38 was recorded in Ghaziabad. Counting will be held on July 7.
In this phase, 1,843 candidates are in fray for the post of mayor and chairmen of 136 local bodies and 13,608 candidates for the posts of corporator.
Agarwal said that in ward number 21 of Ganjdundwara Nagar Palika Parishad in Kanshiram Nagar, second polling officer Sunita Rani, was arrested on charges of helping a candidate.
He said that in ward number 10 of Jhansi Nagar Nigam, antisocial elements damaged four electronic voting machines.
Repolling at both the booths would be held on July 6.
Agarwal said polling was disrupted for an hour at booth number 20 and 22 of ward number two and booth number 454 of ward number 25 of Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation due to defect in EVMs.
IG (Law and Order) B P Singh said supporters of candidates indulged in brick-batting in Loni area of Ghaziabad and damaged five vehicles. Police used force to control the situation.
He said in Sahibabad an independent candidate allegedly tried to tamper with an EVM and his supporters attempted to block road after which police used force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena