Stray incidents in UP polls, 51 pc turnout
Lucknow: Amidst stray incidents, nearly 51 per cent votes were polled in the fourth and last phase of three-tier urban local body elections in 17 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
State Election Commissioner S K Agarwal said till 5 PM, 50.65 per cent votes were polled in Ghaziabad, Bijnore, Pilibhit, Mathura, Kanshiram Nagar, Jhansi, Mahoba, Chitrakoot, Pratapgarh, Unnao, Sitapur, Bahraich, Ambedkar Nagar, Sant Kabir Nagar, Kushinagar, Ghazipur and Sonbhadra.
He said that while maximum 64.66 per cent votes were polled in Ambedkar Nagar, lowest voting percentage of 44.38 was recorded in Ghaziabad. Counting will be held on July 7.
In this phase, 1,843 candidates are in fray for the post of mayor and chairmen of 136 local bodies and 13,608 candidates for the posts of corporator.
Agarwal said that in ward number 21 of Ganjdundwara Nagar Palika Parishad in Kanshiram Nagar, second polling officer Sunita Rani, was arrested on charges of helping a candidate.
He said that in ward number 10 of Jhansi Nagar Nigam, antisocial elements damaged four electronic voting machines.
Repolling at both the booths would be held on July 6.
Agarwal said polling was disrupted for an hour at booth number 20 and 22 of ward number two and booth number 454 of ward number 25 of Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation due to defect in EVMs.
IG (Law and Order) B P Singh said supporters of candidates indulged in brick-batting in Loni area of Ghaziabad and damaged five vehicles. Police used force to control the situation.
He said in Sahibabad an independent candidate allegedly tried to tamper with an EVM and his supporters attempted to block road after which police used force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says