Strike call by trade unions evokes good response in UP
Lucknow: The two-day nationwide strike called by trade unions in support of their demands evoked a good response in Uttar Pradesh on Wednesday.
Roadways buses remained off roads and bank branches were closed in support of the strike call, adversely affecting normal life since morning.
Reports from different parts of the state said employees of various government departments and banks assembled at their respective offices and held protest meetings raising slogans in support of their demands.
The state government had made alternative arrangements like pressing private buses into service, but these were not enough to clear the office rush and people had to depend either on private vehicles or autorickshaws to reach their destinations.
In the state capital, all the major offices have remained shut with employees also taking out protest marches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway