Strike in UP hospital after doctors clash with journalists
Gorakhpur (UP): Emergency services at the BRD Medical College Hospital here have come to a grinding halt as resident doctors have gone on an indefinite strike since last night following a clash with journalists.
According to hospital sources, the junior doctors had a row with relatives of a patient who died during treatment in the emergency ward of the hospital.
Several journalists had gone to cover the incident.
The doctors opposed press photographers taking clicking pictures of the row.
When journalists opposed this, the doctors allegedly turned violent and attacked journalists with bamboo sticks.
They also damaged van of a news channel, police said.
The doctors have lodged a complaint against relatives of the deceased patient for provoking violence, while the journalists have lodged complaint against the junior doctors in Gulariha police station, police said.
District Magistrate Ravi Kumar N.G has ordered an inquiry into the incident and assured journalist that a fair inquiry will be conducted.
Admissions to the emergency and other wards have been paralysed due to the strike. Senior residents and NRHM contract doctors are taking care of the admitted patients.
BRD Medical College Hospital is the main hospital in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
The hospital has been treating thousands of encephalitis case.
Over 240 patients have died this year due to the disease in different government hospitals with 228 deaths in BRD-MCH alone.
More than 270 encephalitis patients have been admitted to the hospital.
The strike has affected the services of the hospital which is already facing a staff crunch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'