Strike in UP hospital after doctors clash with journalists
Gorakhpur (UP): Emergency services at the BRD Medical College Hospital here have come to a grinding halt as resident doctors have gone on an indefinite strike since last night following a clash with journalists.
According to hospital sources, the junior doctors had a row with relatives of a patient who died during treatment in the emergency ward of the hospital.
Several journalists had gone to cover the incident.
The doctors opposed press photographers taking clicking pictures of the row.
When journalists opposed this, the doctors allegedly turned violent and attacked journalists with bamboo sticks.
They also damaged van of a news channel, police said.
The doctors have lodged a complaint against relatives of the deceased patient for provoking violence, while the journalists have lodged complaint against the junior doctors in Gulariha police station, police said.
District Magistrate Ravi Kumar N.G has ordered an inquiry into the incident and assured journalist that a fair inquiry will be conducted.
Admissions to the emergency and other wards have been paralysed due to the strike. Senior residents and NRHM contract doctors are taking care of the admitted patients.
BRD Medical College Hospital is the main hospital in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
The hospital has been treating thousands of encephalitis case.
Over 240 patients have died this year due to the disease in different government hospitals with 228 deaths in BRD-MCH alone.
More than 270 encephalitis patients have been admitted to the hospital.
The strike has affected the services of the hospital which is already facing a staff crunch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days