Strong social fabric cure to Noida-like episodes: Psycologists
New Delhi: Shaken by the incident of two
sisters, who starved in self-imposed confinement in Noida for
months, psycologists on Wednesday strongly advocated the need for a
strong social fabric in the fast-paced modern urban life.
"We should take cue from the strong family and social
connections that bound us together in our childhood as we
grew. However, with changing times people have left behind the
core values. Most of the people don`t even know who or what
their neighbours are," Dr Samir Parikh, a psychiatrist at Max
Two sisters in their forties were rescued from their
Noida home, where they had locked themselves for months after
their father`s death. While one of them died today morning,
another has been shifted to the ICU.
"Their complete withdrawal from the society for months
together clearly reflects that their mental condition was not
stable. To curtail episodes as the one that came to light from
Noida, a better social set-up should be in place. A sense
of belonging for the next door neighbour should be encourged
and practised," Dr Jitendra Nagpal, a psychiatrist
with Moolchand Hospital said.
Another psychiatrist with AIIMS said, "We live in such
an urban set up today where we do not know what is hapepning
to our next door neighbour. This is why more cases of severe
mental illness and their abandonment by the society is being
heard of. The answer lies in checking the detiorating human to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations