Students on rampage after rejection of medical entrance forms
Kanpur: Tension prevailed in the city on Thursday
after students went on the rampage here and damaged public and
private property, agitated over rejection of their application
forms due to postal delay for admission to medical colleges
under Budelkhand University.
Students were angry over rejection of over 1,000 forms
which reached the university after the last date of submission
of applications on April 11.
University sources said the forms were rejected as they
reached after the last date, while the aggrieved students rued
that they were not at all at fault as the delay was due to
With their academic career in jeopardy, the students
residing in Kakadev area, which is the hub of coaching centres
for CPMT entrance examination, offered dharna and destroyed
government and private properties in Geeta Nagar and also on
the GT road yesterday.
Even today they attacked a private hospital in Kakadev
area but were chased away by the police.
An FIR was lodged today against 150 students under
different sections of IPC and over a dozen protesters have
been apprehended. Police said some students and constables
were injured while dispersing the mob yesterday.
"We dispatched the forms on April 7 by the speed post. But
to our dismay, the forms didn`t reach the university in time.
It is unfortunate that after spending so much of money and
time, we will not be able to appear in the exam. Our hard work
has been wasted," lamented Vipin Singh, a candidate.
However, Post Master General of Kanpur General Post Office
(GPO) Ram Bharosa said he was not aware of any such delay.
"No one has approached us till now. We will conduct an
inquiry if there is a complaint in this regard," he said.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate Hari Om appealed to the
protesting candidates not to take law into their hands and
assured them that the issue would be resolved soon.
"I have full sympathies with the students and have
apprised UP Principal Secretary (Health) Kapil Dev of their
problems and he will discuss the matter with the university.
"All the necessary steps will be taken to solve their
problems," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’