Students protest `lawlessness` in AMU
Aligarh: Students of Aligarh Muslim University on
Monday took out a protest march against deteriorating law and order situation in the campus.
The group of 250 AMU students, who were prevented from proceeding to the Vice-Chancellor`s office by the police, later raised slogans against the rising incidence of violence in the campus recently.
There have been a number of shooting incidents in and around the campus during the past week and "no action was being taken against the perpetrators while innocent students were being framed", the students alleged.
In a letter to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, the protesters alleged that some supporters of the Samajwadi Party were "instigating trouble" in the campus and demanded a CID inquiry into the incidents of violence during the past one week.
According to AMU sources, trouble had been brewing at the campus following the abrupt cancellation of Mulayam Singh`s visit to the university two weeks back following opposition by teachers and some students.
The protesters also vented their ire against the police for not taking action against a driver in a hit and run case inside the campus "since the car belonged to a local Samajwadi party leader".
The students further alleged that the abandoned car involved in the hit and run case case which was handed over to the police after the accident "was returned back to the owner of the car instead of any action being taken".
When contacted, a senior AMU official parried question as to why no action has been taken against any person for the "firing incidents which have taken place on three successive days last week".
"We are planing to take strong punitive measures in the next few days," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow