Sub-Inspector shot dead as protesters, police clash in UP
Lucknow: A police sub-inspector was on Wednesday shot dead and several other police personnel were injured when
workers of a political party clashed with police in Ghazipur
"The in-charge of Jamaniya police outpost T Ramarao was
shot dead and several other police personnel were injured when
a mob of over 200 people went on the rampage, indulged in
heavy brick batting and opened fire," Additional DG Police
Brij Lal told reporters here.
Ramarao was shot in his head with a 12 bore country-made
gun, he said.
The protesters, carrying `Shoshit Samaj` banners, also
torched seven motorcycles and vandalised the outpost, 40 kms
from Ghazipur district headquarters. They were associated with
CPI(ML), the ADG said.
"Around 50 people have been arrested and additional forces
including around 100 personnel of PAC have been deployed in
the area," he said.
The incident occurred when the police officer and his
colleagues stopped the mob from marching to the tehsil
headquarters to protest the arrest of a person in a case of
theft of Kisan Vikas Patras valued at over Rs 51 lakh from a
local post office on December 9.
"After investigation the police arrested one Manoj Bind
and recovered KVP of Rs 51.7 lakh," he said.
Brij Lal said Inspector, Jamaniya, YP Shukla, who
reached the spot along with constable Satyendra Singh and some
other police personnel were injured in the violence.
Among the injured was Kalawati, the pradhan of Chakrahi
village of Chandauli district, who had taken part in the
protest, police said.
On getting information, the zonal IG of police and
divisional commissioner rushed to the spot to review the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know