Sub-Inspector shot dead as protesters, police clash in UP
Lucknow: A police sub-inspector was on Wednesday shot dead and several other police personnel were injured when
workers of a political party clashed with police in Ghazipur
"The in-charge of Jamaniya police outpost T Ramarao was
shot dead and several other police personnel were injured when
a mob of over 200 people went on the rampage, indulged in
heavy brick batting and opened fire," Additional DG Police
Brij Lal told reporters here.
Ramarao was shot in his head with a 12 bore country-made
gun, he said.
The protesters, carrying `Shoshit Samaj` banners, also
torched seven motorcycles and vandalised the outpost, 40 kms
from Ghazipur district headquarters. They were associated with
CPI(ML), the ADG said.
"Around 50 people have been arrested and additional forces
including around 100 personnel of PAC have been deployed in
the area," he said.
The incident occurred when the police officer and his
colleagues stopped the mob from marching to the tehsil
headquarters to protest the arrest of a person in a case of
theft of Kisan Vikas Patras valued at over Rs 51 lakh from a
local post office on December 9.
"After investigation the police arrested one Manoj Bind
and recovered KVP of Rs 51.7 lakh," he said.
Brij Lal said Inspector, Jamaniya, YP Shukla, who
reached the spot along with constable Satyendra Singh and some
other police personnel were injured in the violence.
Among the injured was Kalawati, the pradhan of Chakrahi
village of Chandauli district, who had taken part in the
protest, police said.
On getting information, the zonal IG of police and
divisional commissioner rushed to the spot to review the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption