Sub-Inspector shot dead as protesters, police clash in UP
Lucknow: A police sub-inspector was on Wednesday shot dead and several other police personnel were injured when
workers of a political party clashed with police in Ghazipur
"The in-charge of Jamaniya police outpost T Ramarao was
shot dead and several other police personnel were injured when
a mob of over 200 people went on the rampage, indulged in
heavy brick batting and opened fire," Additional DG Police
Brij Lal told reporters here.
Ramarao was shot in his head with a 12 bore country-made
gun, he said.
The protesters, carrying `Shoshit Samaj` banners, also
torched seven motorcycles and vandalised the outpost, 40 kms
from Ghazipur district headquarters. They were associated with
CPI(ML), the ADG said.
"Around 50 people have been arrested and additional forces
including around 100 personnel of PAC have been deployed in
the area," he said.
The incident occurred when the police officer and his
colleagues stopped the mob from marching to the tehsil
headquarters to protest the arrest of a person in a case of
theft of Kisan Vikas Patras valued at over Rs 51 lakh from a
local post office on December 9.
"After investigation the police arrested one Manoj Bind
and recovered KVP of Rs 51.7 lakh," he said.
Brij Lal said Inspector, Jamaniya, YP Shukla, who
reached the spot along with constable Satyendra Singh and some
other police personnel were injured in the violence.
Among the injured was Kalawati, the pradhan of Chakrahi
village of Chandauli district, who had taken part in the
protest, police said.
On getting information, the zonal IG of police and
divisional commissioner rushed to the spot to review the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Superstar Mohanlal wants CM Vijayan to tackle Kerala's 'biggest terror', here is what he said
- Brexit fears: Asia markets collapse as Britain looks set to leave EU
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia Bhatt new BFFs in B-Town? Here's why
- UK markets plunge, sterling eyes biggest ever fall, as EU vote in balance
- India focusing on market dislocations from Brexit: Jayant Sinha