Sugar mills continue to remain shut
Muzaffarnagar: Work continued to
remain stalled in sugar mills across western Uttar Pradesh,
with farmers refusing to sell their produce over cane prices,
even as the factories officially began their crushing season
Farmers led by Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader Manju
Devi Tikait have refused to sell their cane produce below Rs
250 per quintal to the sugar mills resulting in loss of
several lakh rupees per day for the factories.
"We are incurring a loss of Rs 9-10 lakh daily due to the
Mills being non functional," MR Khan Deputy General Manager
Dhampur Sugar mills said.
Meanwhile, the agitators continued their protest and
barred entry of sugarcane laden carriages into the factories.
They also damaged the cane purchasing centre set up by Dhampur
Sugar Mills at Village Paijania in Bijnor and upturned cane
laden carts of the defying farmers.
At village Mandawali, the farmers made a bonfire of
sugarcane and vowed not to supply it to the mills until they
were paid Rs 280 per quintal as its price.
Canegrowers across Uttar Pradesh have been agitating
against the announced State Advisory Price of Rs 160 to Rs 170
per quintal, with an effective hike of Rs 25 per quintal,
terming it as insufficient.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL