Sugar stock to be verified at all mills in UP
Lucknow: In a bid to check illegal purchase
of sugarcane by mills, the state government has directed cane
development and excise departments to verify stocks of cane,
sugar and molasses or raw sugar at all mills in Uttar Pradesh,
an official spokesman said.
"The government has directed to conduct regular raids and
verify stocks of sugar at all mills in the state in the
current crushing season," he said.
The spokesman said some mills were purchasing cane from
the farmers at low rates by offering immediate cash payment.
"Such tactics are not only causing financial loss to the
farmers, but are also resulting in loss of commission for cane
committees and tax to the Centre and the state," he said.
He added that during joint inspection by cane and excise
department teams detected molasses in excess quantity at
Brijnathpur and Simbhawali mills in Ghaziabad, Khaikheri in
Muzaffarnagar and Deoband in Saharanpur.
In Brijnathpur sugar mill 13,839 quintal raw sugar was
"Action had been taken against all these mills under
Molasses Control Act and Essential Commodities Act," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir