Sugarcane farmer in Uttar Pradesh commits suicide
Lucknow: Distressed at not getting an adequate price for his produce, a debt-ridden sugarcane farmer allegedly committed suicide. The victim burnt his fields in Uttar Pradesh`s Baghpat district and then jumped in the fire, police said on Saturday.
Isbuddin (51), a resident of Asara village in Baghpat, about 400-km from Lucknow, took the extreme step Friday evening.
According to locals, Isbuddin was depressed for the last few days and had even stopped talking to his family members. In order to repay his loans, Isbuddin wanted to sell his produce for a minimum of Rs.270 per quintal.
Eyewitnesses told the police that initially after they noticed flames in Isbuddin`s fields they thought he was disposing of the unwanted produce. Later, he jumped into the fire. Isbuddin`s brother, who was present near the field tried to rescue him, but was unsuccessful.
"Isbuddin`s brother received burn injuries in the process. He is being treated in a hospital," police inspector Parvez Khan told reporters.
The central government Friday decided to restore the earlier sugarcane pricing policy, a move welcomed by opposition parties.
The State Advisory Price (SAP) has been set between Rs.165 and Rs.170 per quintal.
Farmers, however, want Rs.280 per quintal for their produce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview