Sugarcane farmers begins indefinite fast in UP
Lakhimpur Kheri (UP): Over two dozen sugarcane farmers associated with the Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) on Tuesday began an indefinite fast at Nasiruddin Mauji Bhawan, housing several government offices, here to press for their demand of earliest opening of sugar factories.
"The delay in starting of sugarcane crushing at the units has hit wheat cultivation as the canes are still lying in the fields," BKU district president Baba Sarvajit Singh said.
The BKU leaders demanded earliest payment of outstanding dues to cane growers, besides enhancement of price for their produce this season.
Out of total nine sugar units in the district, only two state-owned units have started functioning so far posing innumerable problems to the cane-growers and triggering severe resentment among them.
Led by former UP minister Ram Kumar Verma, BJP also held a massive demonstration at the district cane office today and locked it. The party leaders demanded immediate opening of sugar units and beginning of crushing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed