Take urgent steps to prevent farmer suicides: BJP
Lucknow: Alleging suicide by farmers was on the rise in Uttar Pradesh, the BJP on Saturday demanded that the state government take immediate steps for arresting the situation and waive off farmers` debts.
"There has been an increase in suicide by farmers, especially in the Bundelkhand region, mainly due to their financial crises", asserted BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak talking to reporters here.
Pathak claimed that a 45-year-old farmer, Santosh, had committed suicide due to his rising debt problems at Keshav village in Banda district on Thursday.
"Similarly, 25-year-old farmer Brijmohan took his life in Chitrakoot district due to debt and financial crises," he asserted.
"As per media reports around eight to ten farmers have committed suicide in different parts of the state during the last two months", he added.
The BJP spokesman demanded that the state government take immediate steps to give relief to the farmers for halting the incidents of suicide.
"The SP in its manifesto had promised to waive off loans of the farmers up to Rs 50,000...It must be fulfilled", he said.
Besides loan waiver, Pathak said, special assistance should also be provided to the farmers in Bundelkhand region facing tough times due to shortage of water for irrigation purpose.
"Admitting that the irrigation facilities in the Bundelkhand region are poor Irrigation Minister Shivpal Singh had assured to launch a special scheme for the region. It should be time bound", the BJP spokesman said.
Apart from providing unemployment allowance, laptops and tablets to students, the state government should fulfil its promise of loan waiver to farmers and concentrate on their plight which needed immediate attention, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?