Take urgent steps to prevent farmer suicides: BJP
Lucknow: Alleging suicide by farmers was on the rise in Uttar Pradesh, the BJP on Saturday demanded that the state government take immediate steps for arresting the situation and waive off farmers` debts.
"There has been an increase in suicide by farmers, especially in the Bundelkhand region, mainly due to their financial crises", asserted BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak talking to reporters here.
Pathak claimed that a 45-year-old farmer, Santosh, had committed suicide due to his rising debt problems at Keshav village in Banda district on Thursday.
"Similarly, 25-year-old farmer Brijmohan took his life in Chitrakoot district due to debt and financial crises," he asserted.
"As per media reports around eight to ten farmers have committed suicide in different parts of the state during the last two months", he added.
The BJP spokesman demanded that the state government take immediate steps to give relief to the farmers for halting the incidents of suicide.
"The SP in its manifesto had promised to waive off loans of the farmers up to Rs 50,000...It must be fulfilled", he said.
Besides loan waiver, Pathak said, special assistance should also be provided to the farmers in Bundelkhand region facing tough times due to shortage of water for irrigation purpose.
"Admitting that the irrigation facilities in the Bundelkhand region are poor Irrigation Minister Shivpal Singh had assured to launch a special scheme for the region. It should be time bound", the BJP spokesman said.
Apart from providing unemployment allowance, laptops and tablets to students, the state government should fulfil its promise of loan waiver to farmers and concentrate on their plight which needed immediate attention, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note