Take urgent steps to prevent farmer suicides: BJP
Lucknow: Expressing serious concern over suicide by farmers in backward Bundelkhand region of Uttar Pradesh, the BJP on Saturday accused the government machinery of being "insensitive" towards their plight.
"One after another farmers are committing suicide in Bundelkhand region either due to debts or financial crisis, but no effort has been made by the state government to address the issue", BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said.
He alleged that in a recent case two farmers had committed suicide in Banda and Hamirpur districts of Bundelkhand region on May 24 due to financial crisis but the administration was not even ready to accept that the victims took the extreme step due to the crisis.
"In majority of the cases the local administration claims that the farmer committed suicide due to personal reasons and not due to financial crisis", the spokesman said.
He demanded Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to immediately pay attention towards farmer suicides and take steps to provide relief to the debt laden farmers.
"SP during its election campaign promised sops for the farmers and assured that immediate measures would be taken for their uplift once the party comes to power", Pathak asserted.
The BJP leader alleged that even after two months, the loan waiver for the farmers promised by the party in its manifesto was yet to be implemented.
"By giving mandate to the SP in the Assembly polls, the farmers have reposed their faith in the party and the government should meet their expectations", he said.
The BJP spokesman also attacked the Congress for maintaining silence on the plight of the Bundelkhand farmers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city