Tannery owned by SP MLA sealed after midnight raid
Kanpur: A tannery allegedly owned by a ruling Samajwadi Party MLA has been sealed following a raid when it was found that the unit was engaged in production despite a ban in view of the ongoing Maha Kumbh Mela.
According to zonal pollution control officer VK Mishra, a team led by district official MP Agrawal was on a late night round when, at around 1 AM, they found that work was on at the Nagauri tannery located in the Jajmau area.
Outside the tannery, a board announced that its proprietor was Sisamau MLA Irfan Solanki, Mishra said.
Instead of locking down the entire unit, local officials had sealed off the section of the tannery which was caught engaging in production, he said.
Mishra said enquiries had revealed that the tannery belonged to the MLA and added that the strictest action would be taken against it for flouting the ban.
The MLA could not be reached on his cellphone for his comments and sources said he is in Delhi at the moment.
The administration had ordered a ban on production at tanneries in the region during the duration of the festival between January 11 and February 13, then from February 22-24 and again between March 06 to 09.
Mishra said apart from the Nagauri tannery, 24 other units had been raided last night although there was no production taking place there. He said the raids would continue for the entire duration of the Maha Kumbh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145