Tannery owned by SP MLA sealed after midnight raid
Kanpur: A tannery allegedly owned by a ruling Samajwadi Party MLA has been sealed following a raid when it was found that the unit was engaged in production despite a ban in view of the ongoing Maha Kumbh Mela.
According to zonal pollution control officer VK Mishra, a team led by district official MP Agrawal was on a late night round when, at around 1 AM, they found that work was on at the Nagauri tannery located in the Jajmau area.
Outside the tannery, a board announced that its proprietor was Sisamau MLA Irfan Solanki, Mishra said.
Instead of locking down the entire unit, local officials had sealed off the section of the tannery which was caught engaging in production, he said.
Mishra said enquiries had revealed that the tannery belonged to the MLA and added that the strictest action would be taken against it for flouting the ban.
The MLA could not be reached on his cellphone for his comments and sources said he is in Delhi at the moment.
The administration had ordered a ban on production at tanneries in the region during the duration of the festival between January 11 and February 13, then from February 22-24 and again between March 06 to 09.
Mishra said apart from the Nagauri tannery, 24 other units had been raided last night although there was no production taking place there. He said the raids would continue for the entire duration of the Maha Kumbh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?