Tannery owned by SP MLA sealed after midnight raid
Kanpur: A tannery allegedly owned by a ruling Samajwadi Party MLA has been sealed following a raid when it was found that the unit was engaged in production despite a ban in view of the ongoing Maha Kumbh Mela.
According to zonal pollution control officer VK Mishra, a team led by district official MP Agrawal was on a late night round when, at around 1 AM, they found that work was on at the Nagauri tannery located in the Jajmau area.
Outside the tannery, a board announced that its proprietor was Sisamau MLA Irfan Solanki, Mishra said.
Instead of locking down the entire unit, local officials had sealed off the section of the tannery which was caught engaging in production, he said.
Mishra said enquiries had revealed that the tannery belonged to the MLA and added that the strictest action would be taken against it for flouting the ban.
The MLA could not be reached on his cellphone for his comments and sources said he is in Delhi at the moment.
The administration had ordered a ban on production at tanneries in the region during the duration of the festival between January 11 and February 13, then from February 22-24 and again between March 06 to 09.
Mishra said apart from the Nagauri tannery, 24 other units had been raided last night although there was no production taking place there. He said the raids would continue for the entire duration of the Maha Kumbh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living