Tappal farmers threaten to block Yamuna Expressway
Aligarh: Farmers in Tappal block here, who had been leading anti-land acquisition stir for last two years, on Monday threatened to block the newly inaugurated Yamuna Expressway from tomorrow if their demands were not met.
For last three days the farmers have been protesting at Zikarpur village in Tappal, sources said.
Kisan Sangharsh Samiti, spearheading the protest, today handed over a fifteen-point charter of demands to the district authorities.
Their demands include allotment of land for a memorial for the three farmers who were killed in alleged police firing during land acquisition stir two years ago.
"One of our major demand is speedy construction of service roads adjoining the expressway," said Chander Pal, convener of the Kisan Sangharsh committee.
Service roads were of vital importance to the poor farmers who cannot access the expressway, he said.
Negotiations with the agitating farmers to prevent any untoward incident were on, official sources said.
On August 10, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had inaugurated the 165-km Yamuna Expressway.
A day before Yadav had promised that "no land acquisition would be done without the consent of farmers and cases lodged against them during the previous government would be withdrawn."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron