Teenage girls earn Sonia`s praise
Rae Bareli: Their faces gleaming under
spotlight, teenage girls Priya and Rizwana couldn`t stop
smiling as they shared the stage with Sonia Gandhi who praised
them for making a difference in their villages by spreading
awareness on education and health through self-help groups.
Rizwana, a resident of Kajiyana village in Jagatpur
block, resisted family opposition to pursue education and
raised the slogan "Hum angutha nahi lagana chahte, hum padhna
chahte hain (We don`t want to put thumb on papers, we want to
Rizwana, who is in class eighth, created awareness on
literacy and now a majority of women in the village atleast
know how to write their name.
Priya, another girl from Peethi village of
Bahadurpur block, worked towards spreading awareness on health
issues in her village and adjoining areas.
"After joining the scheme Sabla, my self-confidence
has received a boost and now I can go anywhere," she said
today from the dais, urging women and girls to come out of
their homes and become aware of their rights.
Advising women and young girls on taking iron pills
and dos and don`ts for better health, Priya also persuaded
them to pursue education and fight for their self-respect.
The two girls flanked Gandhi who was seen nodding her
head and smiling as Priya gave tips to the women. In her
address, the Congress chief praised the girls for their
courage and presented them mementos.
The local MP later visited Rail Coach factory in
Lalganj and inspected three-tier coaches.
She was briefed in details about the ongoing work
Gandhi earlier arrived at Amausi airport in Lucknow
this morning on a two-day visit to her Lok Sabha constituency.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'