Teenager kills self after newspaper reports her molestation
Moradabad: A 17-year-old girl, who had set herself ablaze on Wednesday allegedly after reading a news report about her molestation in a Hindi daily, on Saturday succumbed at a government hospital in Delhi.
"The girl, a class IX student, was attacked by three youths on Monday, who also allegedly molested and tore her clothes apart," said Satish Kumar, Inspector of Civil Lines police station.
The girl managed to escape and filed a complaint with the Civil Lines police station, Kumar said.
Later, the three youths were also arrested.
However, the case took a turn for worse when a news item purportedly carrying a picture of the girl was published in Hindi daily.
According to the family, the girl felt so embarrassed by the report that she put herself on fire.
"A local Hindi daily carried a news item about the incident. The girl, who was apparently upset over it, set herself ablaze," said Kumar.
With 90 percent burn injuries, she was admitted to a government hospital here on Wednesday, and later she was referred to Safdargunj hospital in Delhi.
"The girl was admitted here with 90 per cent burn injuries and was referred to Delhi this morning," said Shiv Singh, Medical Officer of the government hospital, on Wednesday.
Today she breathed her last in the Safdarjung hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list