Teenager kills self after newspaper reports her molestation
Moradabad: A 17-year-old girl, who had set herself ablaze on Wednesday allegedly after reading a news report about her molestation in a Hindi daily, on Saturday succumbed at a government hospital in Delhi.
"The girl, a class IX student, was attacked by three youths on Monday, who also allegedly molested and tore her clothes apart," said Satish Kumar, Inspector of Civil Lines police station.
The girl managed to escape and filed a complaint with the Civil Lines police station, Kumar said.
Later, the three youths were also arrested.
However, the case took a turn for worse when a news item purportedly carrying a picture of the girl was published in Hindi daily.
According to the family, the girl felt so embarrassed by the report that she put herself on fire.
"A local Hindi daily carried a news item about the incident. The girl, who was apparently upset over it, set herself ablaze," said Kumar.
With 90 percent burn injuries, she was admitted to a government hospital here on Wednesday, and later she was referred to Safdargunj hospital in Delhi.
"The girl was admitted here with 90 per cent burn injuries and was referred to Delhi this morning," said Shiv Singh, Medical Officer of the government hospital, on Wednesday.
Today she breathed her last in the Safdarjung hospital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?