Teenager kills self after newspaper reports her molestation
Moradabad: A 17-year-old girl, who had set herself ablaze on Wednesday allegedly after reading a news report about her molestation in a Hindi daily, on Saturday succumbed at a government hospital in Delhi.
"The girl, a class IX student, was attacked by three youths on Monday, who also allegedly molested and tore her clothes apart," said Satish Kumar, Inspector of Civil Lines police station.
The girl managed to escape and filed a complaint with the Civil Lines police station, Kumar said.
Later, the three youths were also arrested.
However, the case took a turn for worse when a news item purportedly carrying a picture of the girl was published in Hindi daily.
According to the family, the girl felt so embarrassed by the report that she put herself on fire.
"A local Hindi daily carried a news item about the incident. The girl, who was apparently upset over it, set herself ablaze," said Kumar.
With 90 percent burn injuries, she was admitted to a government hospital here on Wednesday, and later she was referred to Safdargunj hospital in Delhi.
"The girl was admitted here with 90 per cent burn injuries and was referred to Delhi this morning," said Shiv Singh, Medical Officer of the government hospital, on Wednesday.
Today she breathed her last in the Safdarjung hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof