Teenager kills self after newspaper reports her molestation
Moradabad: A 17-year-old girl, who had set herself ablaze on Wednesday allegedly after reading a news report about her molestation in a Hindi daily, on Saturday succumbed at a government hospital in Delhi.
"The girl, a class IX student, was attacked by three youths on Monday, who also allegedly molested and tore her clothes apart," said Satish Kumar, Inspector of Civil Lines police station.
The girl managed to escape and filed a complaint with the Civil Lines police station, Kumar said.
Later, the three youths were also arrested.
However, the case took a turn for worse when a news item purportedly carrying a picture of the girl was published in Hindi daily.
According to the family, the girl felt so embarrassed by the report that she put herself on fire.
"A local Hindi daily carried a news item about the incident. The girl, who was apparently upset over it, set herself ablaze," said Kumar.
With 90 percent burn injuries, she was admitted to a government hospital here on Wednesday, and later she was referred to Safdargunj hospital in Delhi.
"The girl was admitted here with 90 per cent burn injuries and was referred to Delhi this morning," said Shiv Singh, Medical Officer of the government hospital, on Wednesday.
Today she breathed her last in the Safdarjung hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy