Tension foments in UP village after youth shoots dead langur
Pratapgarh (UP): Tension prevailed in a village here this afternoon after a youth belonging to a particular community shot dead a langur which had been troubling locals since the past one week.
The 18-year-old fired at the monkey, which had attacked and injured people in Bachrauli village, from his air gun leading to its death, official sources said.
Taking the langur to be a form of a deity, members of the other community from about ten villages gathered in Bachrauli, the sources said.
SDM Sanjay Khatri and Circle Officer Sukhsagar Shukla reached the spot and pacified the agitated villagers by assuring them action against the youth and sending the body of the animal for post-mortem examination.
On the complaint of forest inspector Avadh Bihar, a case has been lodged and the accused arrested.
Security personnel from Kunda, Manikpur, Sangramgarh, Nawabganj besides Hatigava police station, under whose jurisdiction the village falls, were rushed to the area to maintain order.
Police and the PAC have been deployed in strength to prevent any untoward incident, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir