Tension in Bareilly after protests against objectionable post
Bareilly: Tension gripped old city area here when a group of persons indulged in stone pelting and arson demanding action against two youths for allegedly posting objectionable content on a social networking site, hurting religious sentiments.
Two youths belonging to Meera ki Paith locality allegedly posted some objectionable content on a social networking site hurting religious sentiments, after which a written complaint was lodged at Baradari Police Station on July 28, sources said Thursday.
Demanding action against the youths, members of a community assembled at Lalbati crossing last night, they said.
The agitated persons attacked the house of one of the accused, indulged in stone pelting and arson, the sources said, adding members of two communities then came face to face and the demonstrators then indulged in stone pelting.
District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar said that attempts were made to set some roadside fruit shops on fire and create disturbances at three-four places.
On getting the information, the District Magistrate, SSP J Ravindra Gaur along with other officers and heavy force reached the spot and controlled the situation.
Police said one of the accused had been arrested.
Kumar said if needed, the National Security Act would be invoked against those identified for creating trouble.
ITBP and RAF has been deployed in sensitive areas and situation was under control, he said.
He, however, said that as a precautionary measure additional companies of PAC, ITBP and RAF have been called.
Kumar has appealed to the people not to get provoked and not to pay heed to rumours.
Additional Superintendent of Police Rajiv Malhotra said that an FIR was being lodged at Baradari Police Station in connection with the stone pelting incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?