Tension in Bareilly after protests against objectionable post
Bareilly: Tension gripped old city area here when a group of persons indulged in stone pelting and arson demanding action against two youths for allegedly posting objectionable content on a social networking site, hurting religious sentiments.
Two youths belonging to Meera ki Paith locality allegedly posted some objectionable content on a social networking site hurting religious sentiments, after which a written complaint was lodged at Baradari Police Station on July 28, sources said Thursday.
Demanding action against the youths, members of a community assembled at Lalbati crossing last night, they said.
The agitated persons attacked the house of one of the accused, indulged in stone pelting and arson, the sources said, adding members of two communities then came face to face and the demonstrators then indulged in stone pelting.
District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar said that attempts were made to set some roadside fruit shops on fire and create disturbances at three-four places.
On getting the information, the District Magistrate, SSP J Ravindra Gaur along with other officers and heavy force reached the spot and controlled the situation.
Police said one of the accused had been arrested.
Kumar said if needed, the National Security Act would be invoked against those identified for creating trouble.
ITBP and RAF has been deployed in sensitive areas and situation was under control, he said.
He, however, said that as a precautionary measure additional companies of PAC, ITBP and RAF have been called.
Kumar has appealed to the people not to get provoked and not to pay heed to rumours.
Additional Superintendent of Police Rajiv Malhotra said that an FIR was being lodged at Baradari Police Station in connection with the stone pelting incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?