Terror accused dies on way to prison in UP, probe ordered
Lucknow: Khalid Mujahid, an accused in the serial blasts at Uttar Pradesh`s Faizabad in 2007, died of `heat stroke` on Saturday when he was being taken back to the Lucknow prison after a hearing at a Faizabad court, police said. A probe has been ordered.
Confirming the death, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), Faizabad, Dharmendra Singh Yadav told IANS that Mujahid apparently died of heat while in transit.
"Prima facie this appears to be a death owing to the heat wave, however the autopsy would reveal the exact reason," he said. He added that Mujahid`s condition suddenly deteriorated near the Ram Snehi Ghat in Faizabad and he fainted. He was taken to the district hospital where he was declared dead.
For every hearing, Mujahid, along with other accused - Tariq Qazmi, Mohammad Akhtar and Sajjad ur Rehman - were taken to the Faizabad court under high security from Lucknow prison. He was one of the accused for whom the state government had recommended withdrawal of cases, a move which was quashed by a Barabanki court earlier this week.
Meanwhile, an embarrassed state government ordered a high level probe into the death.
A late night communique from the chief minister`s office said a committee comprising the home secretary, an additional director general of police (ADG) and an inspector general of police (IG) has been set up for the purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi