Thakurs dominate poll fray in Phoolan land
Sheikhpur Gorha (Jalaun): For an
outsider, it could just be another non-descript village with
tell-tale signs of deprivation and desperation in the badlands
of Uttar Pradesh driven by caste divides.
The nearest hospital and high school are ten kilometres
away and there is anger in the village, which falls in Kalpi
assembly constituency, against SP and BSP as identity politics
has let the area wallow in poverty.
However, remember slain bandit-turned-politician Phoolan
Devi, who was born and brought up here, and you find out how
her larger-than-life image hangs over the village, dominated
by members of downtrodden Nishad (boatmen) and Pal (shepherd)
castes, and her appeal remains intact as a unifying image even
more than a decade after her assassination in faraway Delhi.
Ironically, all the candidates put up by major political
parties Congress, SP, BSP and BJP for the ongoing assembly
polls in Kalpi constituency belong to upper caste Thakur
--Umakanti Chauhan, Sanjay Singh Bhaudaria, Vishnpal Singh and
Swatantra Dev Singh.
It was in this village falling under Kalpi that Phoolan
had allegedly killed 22 upper caste Thakurs in March, 1981
that came to be known as the infamous Behmai massacre, in an
apparent retaliation to her gang-rape.
"Had she not been killed after becoming MP for the second
time, she could have become another Sonia Gandhi", says Vidya
Devi, who remembers Phoolan as frequenting the village after
becoming MP and distributing blankets and clothes among the
Another village resident Bharat Singh Pal from shepherd
caste says, "our voice was heard when Phoolan was an MP (from
Mirzapur). Now there is nobody to lead us and here only the
Chauhans (Thakurs) are being given tickets".
Put together, the votes of Nishad and Pal castes are
around 90,000 while those of the Jatavs, Koris and other SCs
are around 40,000. Brahmins, Muslims and Kushwahas also have a
Phoolan’s family, which is in political wilderness, after
the death of the bandit queen, is slowly attempting to
organize a caste identity as her elder sister Rukmini Devi
joined Pragatishil Manav Samaj Party of Premchand Bhind from
Mirzapur. Rukmini has fielded one Jeerakhan Pal from the seat
with an eye on the 56,000-odd Pal votes.
"After Phoolan’s death, no national leader ever came to
our village", laments Gram Pradhan of the village Vijay
Residents of the village, located on the confluence of
Yamuna and local Non river, point to the problem of erosion
"but nobody is bothered about our plight", complains Ramjeevan
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt