Thousands attend Tikait`s cremation
Sisauli: Tens of thousands of farmers descended on this village on Monday to bid their final adieu to powerful leader and founder president of Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) Mahendra Singh Tikait, who died of bone cancer Sunday morning.
After being taken around the entire village, Tikait`s body was consigned to flames around 4.15 pm here on Monday in the presence of VIPs and commoners who began pouring in here right since the morning.
The funeral pyre was lit by his eldest son Mahesh, who said, "in keeping with my father`s wishes we will carry out each and every traditional ritual".
While Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati and Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank condoled the death of the leader, Haryana Chief Minister BSHooda came down to Sisauli to pay his homage to the farmer leader.
Among other political leaders to join the funeral were state Agriculture Minister Chaudhary Laxmi Narain, Congress MP Jagdambika Pal, Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan, besides a host of MPs and legislators from many parts of the state.
Former Lok Sabha speaker Balram Jhakhar had visited Tikait`s family Sunday evening itself to express his condolences.
Tikait, 76, had emerged as the most powerful farmer leader in north India.
His clout with the farmer community was such that he could collect hundreds of thousands of farmers at one call.
His younger son Rajesh Tikait, whom he had appointed as BKU general secretary, is likely to inherit the father`s legacy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued